News By Tag
* New Jersey
* License Renewal
* Continuing Education
* Professional Development Resources
* More Tags...
News By Location
Renewal Information for New Jersey SLPs
New Jersey Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) renew licenses biennially in October of odd-numbered years. 20 hours of continuing education (CE) are required to renew.
Professional Development Resources is approved by the Continuing Education Board of the American Speech-Language-
Continuing Education FAQs:
* What happens if I am audited for my continuing education (CE) hours?
You will be asked to send in documentation of your 20 hours of continuing professional education. This is required every two years. A form is available on the board website to help you organize your activity information. You must have documentation that verifies your attendance at an approved continuing education program. You can provide to the Committee a certificate of attendance or a statement from the instructor. Please remember that only 10 of the 20 hours required may be completed online.
* When do I need to start obtaining CE credits?
Your license to practice audiology or speech-language pathology must be renewed every two years. At that time you will be required to document 20 hours of continuing professional education units if you were licensed within the first year of the licensing period; 10 hours if you were licensed after the first day of November of the second year of the licensing period or zero hours if you were licensed within six months of the expiration date.
* Can CE credits be carried over from one renewal to the next?
Yes. If you complete more than the necessary 20 hours, you may carry-over a maximum of five hours if those hours were earned in the six months prior to renewal.
* How long do I have to maintain the continuing education records in my files?
You must retain the records for at least five years following the renewal period.
* How do I know if the course that I am taking has been approved as a valid continuing education credit?
Continuing professional education units must be related to the practice of audiology or speech-language pathology. The units (hours) must be accredited by the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education, or accredited or sponsored by a local, state or national audiology and speech-language pathology professional organization, local, state or federal education or health agency, or a local, state or national medical, psychological, dental or similar professional organization. Courses accepted for credit by the National Registry on Continuing Education or by the American Speech-Language-
* How many continuing education credits are required every renewal period?
You need to have 20 CEUs every two years when you renew your license. These must be approved continuing education programs. To be approved, the course must be accredited at least one of several sources:
- The New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- An accredited or sponsored by a local, state or national audiology and speech-language pathology professional organization
- A local state or Federal education or health agency
- A local, state or national medical, psychological, dental or similar professional organization
New Jersey Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Advisory Committee: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/
This committee regulates the profession of audiology and speech-language pathology in New Jersey. The committee licenses audiologists and speech-language pathologists.
The purpose of continuing education is to assure high standards of practice of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists by requiring licensees to participate in on-going educational activities. Through these experiences, licensees may increase their competence and enhance the knowledge obtained during prior education and training as a Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologist.
Professional Development Resources offers a wide selection of online and home study courses for SLPs, including:
- Counseling Skills for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists, 2nd Ed.
- Resilience among African American Children & Adolescents
- Autism Spectrum Disorders in Schools: Evidence-Based Screening and Assessment
- Alzheimer’s - Unraveling the Mystery
- English Language Learning
- Family Literacy Interventions
- Alzheimer’s Disease - Overview
- Adolescent Literacy
- Preventing Medical Errors in Speech-Language Pathology
- The Impact of a Life of ADHD: Understanding for Clinicians and Clients
- Ethics in Speech and Language Therapy
- Autism Spectrum Disorders and AAC
- Clinical Decision Making in Developmental Language Disorders
- Treating ADHD and Comorbid Disorders: Psychosocial and Psychopharmacological Interventions
- Evidence-Based Practice in Communication Disorders
- Improving Communication with Your Young Clients
- Diagnosing ADHD in Adults
Courses are available 24/7 @ https://www.pdresources.org/
# # #
Professional Development Resources, Inc. is a nonprofit educational corporation organized in 1992. Our mission is to provide healthcare professionals with accredited continuing education courses on topics that are vital to contemporary clinical practice.