Derailment Rehabilitation Project Wins Award of Excellence
GAI Consultants Accepts Award from the Engineers' Society of Western Pennsylvania
By: GAI Consultants
About the Award
• The award was presented to GAI on February 6, 2020, at the ESWP Annual Engineering Awards Banquet at the Westin Convention Center Hotel in Pittsburgh.
• The Annual ESWP Awards program highlights the important contributions engineering and education make to society and encourages those in the field to excel at their work.
• GAI's Michael Beresford, PE, Senior Engineering Manager, and Sam Spear, PE, Senior Engineering Manager, accepted the award on behalf of the project team.
About the Project
• In 2018, a Norfolk Southern freight train traveling through the South Side of Pittsburgh derailed and several cars and cargo containers struck the Port Authority of Allegheny County's commuter light rail (LRT) tracks near busy Station Square.
• GAI surveyed the site along with Port Authority personnel and delivered the requested design repair within days of the damage assessment.
• GAI provided ongoing consultations to the Port Authority throughout the repair including on-site repair guidance, repair product and procedure reviews, and testing requirements for the work performed.
• All repairs were complete and full service was restored to the Station Square LRT station less than 3 weeks after the derailment.
• Michael Beresford, PE, Senior Engineering Manager, GAI Consultants:
"GAI is honored to accept this Award of Excellence from the Engineers' Society of Western Pennsylvania for the Station Square NS Derailment project. Effective collaboration with the Port Authority and the exceptional efforts of the entire project team allowed us to quickly deliver the needed repairs and minimize impacts to the public. It was truly a TEAM effort."
About GAI Consultants:
Connect with GAI through Social Media on Twitter (GAIconsultants)