Mary Beth Berkes, PE Named SAME Pittsburgh Young Professional of the Year
About the Award:
• Each year, the Young Professional of the Year award recognizes outstanding SAME members who exhibit outstanding academic achievements, participate in professional and technical society activities, contribute to publications or patents, hold major engineering/
• The award was presented to Mary Beth at the SAME Pittsburgh Post annual banquet on May 14, 2019.
About Mary Beth Berkes:
• Mary Beth has more than 10 years of experience specializing in stream restoration design, hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, inundation studies and investigations, coastal engineering, and design of hydraulic structures.
• A project engineer in GAI's Civil and Environmental Engineering Market, Mary Beth has worked on projects including engineering design and supporting hydraulic modeling for over 20 stream and wetland mitigation sites throughout Pennsylvania and West Virginia; engineering analysis to estimate wave loading on structural piles crossing the Albermarle Sound, James, and Rappahannock Rivers; and numerous flood control, culvert, and bridge replacement projects.
• Mary Beth is a registered Professional Engineer in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia, and her experience includes applying Rosgen principles to natural stream channel restoration projects, including the development of advanced HEC-RAS models.
• Mary Beth holds a master's degree in Civil Engineering with a specialization in Coastal and Ocean Engineering from Oregon State University and a bachelor's degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh.
• Mary Beth has been a SAME member for 5 years, serving for 1 year as treasurer and for 3 years as a Board Member.
• Robert Schanck, PE, Vice President, GAI Consultants:
"We are fortunate to have such a super personable, yet highly technical individual that provides both inspiration and true value to our fellow employees and valued clients."
• Mary Beth Berkes, PE, Assistant Civil Technical Leader, GAI Consultants:
"I was surprised and honored to receive this award. This recognition reaffirms the pride I feel to use my engineering skill set to promote sustainability and conservation of resources while providing protection from flood hazards."
About GAI Consultants:
Connect with GAI through Social Media on Twitter (GAIconsultants)