News By Tag
* Kiwanis Club
* Charter School
* Middle School
* Junior High
* Builders Club
* Imagine Prep
* More Tags...
News By Place
Follow on Google News
Imagine Prep’s Builder Club Wins Support Of Kiwanis Club Of Surprise
Recently, members of Imagine Prep’s junior high Builders Club attended a meeting of the Kiwanis Club of Surprise to solicit help with future projects and the Kiwanis came through in a big way!
By: John Buzzard
Danyelle Vigari an eighth grade student at Imagine Prep and Builders Club President prepared a speech about Imagine Prep’s Builders Club and the numerous activities they have undertaken during their first year. Immediately, following her prepared remarks, Danyelle fielded questions from Kiwanis members about Imagine Prep and Builders Club.
“Danyelle was poised and prepared and spoke with the wisdom and knowledge of a professional,”
After the presentation, the Kiwanis informed Imagine Prep they would like to sponsor our Builders Club by paying Imagine Prep’s annual membership dues to the International, help establish a Key Club at Imagine Prep (the high school version of Builders Club), and donate magazines and encyclopedias to the school library which has been one of Builders Clubs projects this year.
The Builders Club is for students in grades seven and eight with a vision to develop competent, capable, caring leaders through the vehicle of community service. Builders Club is an international student-led organization providing members with opportunities to perform service, build character, and develop leadership.
Badali continued, “This year, the Builders Club set three goals: have a membership of twenty-five dues paying members by November 1, 2009; complete two-hundred and fifty (250) hours by the last day of school, and to hold two (2) social events each semester. The results of Builders Club hard work and dedication allowed the students to meet their membership goal by January, complete their community service goal by February, and have held a social event every month – exceeding our goal of two (2) a semester. All in all it was a banner first year for Imagine Prep’s Builders Club.”
Builders Club organized several successful service projects this year:
• Seeing a need for a school library, Builders Club organized an 80s Dance to raise money – and raised over four-hundred dollars ($400) to help purchase books! The Club also worked with the Arizona State University Leadership Scholarship Program to build and paint shelves.
• Supported the local animal shelter by creating dog toys out of old bed sheets and donating them
• “Trick or Treated” for UNICEF, and organization working to help developing nations and collected over $200.
• Helped 1st graders at Imagine Rosefield elementary school practice their literacy skills by encouraging them to write letters to “Santa to which Builders Club members responded as “Santa”.
• Recognized teachers at Imagine Prep by designing and decorating mugs for all Imagine Prep teachers for Teacher Appreciation Week.
• Members also organized dress down days and bake sales to raise money for various causes.
“The strength and energy of Imagine Prep’s Builders Club is definitely attributable to their dynamic leader Ms. Badali,” said John Buzzard, Imagine Prep at Surprise Principal. “We are also very grateful and appreciative of the support offered by the Surprise chapter of Kiwanis Club. I, for one look forward to seeing what ambitious projects Builders Club takes on next school year and welcome the addition of Key Club to Imagine Prep.”
Imagine Prep at Surprise is a free charter school, educating students in grades 7-12. For more information about Imagine Prep at Surprise please go to http://www.surpriseprep.com
# # #
Imagine Prep at Surprise is a college prep school in Surprise, Arizona educating students in grades 7-12. Imagine Prep offers prepares students for college, career, and life through project based and real world learning opportunities.