Evaluations of An Online Counsellor Training Course
The Educational Therapy model is one in which learning about counselling, is understood as a cognitive therapeutic experience in itself. This is a collection of many student comments and evaluations of the online course.
By: College of Mental Health Counselling
Course Description and Requirements
Copyright 2016 College of Mental Health Counseling. All rights reserved.
1) Sincere desire to increase self-awareness and to help others.
2) Reading comprehension and writing composition skills.
This online course is also suitable for individuals who may have been away from the traditional classroom for several years.
1. To acquire knowledge and skills in the process of counselling individuals and couples.
2. To increase the student's self-awareness of issues and factors contributing to his or her current life and relationship.
3. To provide a foundation of knowledge and skills for doing professional counselling during supervision.
You Will Learn:
1. Completing and understanding the Clinical Assessment; steps for suicide prevention.
2. Skills to begin, deepen, and close the counseling session and the over-all counselling process.
3. Skills to heal grief resulting from different types of loss: death of a loved one, breakup of a relationship, divorce, loss of health, bankruptcy, and others.
4. Skills to help others adopt healthy communication, reduce hostility, solve problems, resolve conflicts, listen with empathy, and speak assertively.
5. Approaches to help couples resolve specific issues: infidelity, household duties, addiction, and others; understanding how childhood experiences affect adult life and the couple relationship.
Text and Materials:
How To Do Professional Mental Health Counseling (http://goo.gl/
Qualifying Examination for Professional Counseling Practice (http://www.amazon.com/
Clinical Assessment Form (sent as a Word .doc file, included in tuition) from the College of Mental Health Counselling.
1. Design and create a minimum of 100-120 short and long-answer review questions covering the scope and depth of the text and provide responses with page numbers from the text where the answers are found.
2. Complete the Clinical Assessment Questionnaire with yourself as the client.
3. Complete the Clinical Assessment Questionnaire with a volunteer client.
4. Qualifying Examination - Open-book with text, all materials, and full instructor support available, the exam is designed to be a comprehensive learning experience.
Time for completion: Estimating 2 hours per week day, allow approximately 4 to 6 weeks depending on individual learning style and pace. Time extensions are granted on request.
The Certificate of Mental Health Counselling and Therapy is awarded upon completion of the above requirements.
Instructor: Daniel Keeran, MA, MSW, therapist and professional counsellor for over 30 years and author of Loss and Grief Counseling Skills, Counseling In A Book, Learn Empathy, and Effective Counseling Skills. With extensive experience in private practice and hospital settings, he has conducted many therapy groups and trained thousands of people from the general public as well as social workers, nurses, and other helping professionals.
The First Step
Read student evaluations here https://www.createspace.com/
To Register, please complete and send the Registration Form at www.ctihalifax.com (http://www.collegemhc.com/)
Daniel Keeran, MSW