Spatial Data Platform for Growth: 1Spatial Signs Ordnance Survey Ireland
National Growth Supported with Contract to Deliver OSi Geospatial Management Solution
OSi has established its PRIME2 data strategy, to ensure the country has quality-assured and up-to-date spatial datasets representing the natural and built environments. 1Spatial will deliver the data management infrastructure for PRIME2, guaranteeing efficient data maintenance, integrity and quality assurance. It will also provide the foundation for a modern Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) and allow Departments and Agencies to integrate their data.
Marcus Hanke, Chief Executive at 1Spatial explains, “In order to fully support national and local government decision-making, OSi needed to be entirely confident in the quality of its data. The solution needed to serve the current geospatial data management business needs, integrate seamlessly with existing OSi systems and also provide a platform for growth”. He continued, “This deal builds on the two organisation’
OSi, like many other National Mapping and Cadastral Agencies (NMCA) around the world, recognises that it must evolve from being a supplier of traditional mapping products generated from legacy cartographic databases to being an authoritative provider of rich, intelligent data and data services from real-word feature databases.
Colin Bray, OSi Chief Survey Officer, noted that “The PRIME2 programme is the most significant revision to OSi’s data management and product management process in over 30 years. The delivery of the PRIME2 real-world feature database and the implementation of the 1Spatial Management Suite will allow OSi to advance its role as the authoritative source of national spatial data and provider of data services”.
The benefits of PRIME2 include:
· Providing the foundation of a modern Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) for Ireland allowing other Departments and Agencies to integrate their data.
· Improving the intelligence of OSi digital data for customer requirements.
· Enabling the development of new and enriched products and services.
· Production and supply of data to industry and international standards.
The solution to be delivered will be built around the 1Spatial Management Suite and will provide the following key benefits to OSi:
· Delivering production efficiencies and resource savings through automation of data management activities.
· Ensure data integrity and consistency through automated rules-based processing
· Provide an efficient, robust, flexible and scalable solution for OSi’s growing business needs.
· Provide the technical foundation for future automated OSi cartographic product generation.
1Spatial was acquired by Avisen in November 2011.
1Spatial technology already provides the foundations for data management and processing solutions around the world. Customers include National Mapping and Charting Agencies, utilities companies and defence and government departments.