SHEUNG WAN, Hong Kong
- April 16, 2021
-- Despite yesterday's losses, the Dow Jones Industrial Average managed to gain grounds in today's session along with small caps amidst erratic rally that resulted in NASDAQ's and S&P's retreat.
Investors once again shifted from growth stocks to cyclical ones such as financial, mining and steel. There's also the newly launched Coinbase Global that closed lower than opening price on Wednesday session but managed to slay 5% overnight.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average managed to record an intraday high, gaining 53.62 basis points or 0.16% at market close. NASDAQ Composite stepped back with the major components of it retreating, slipping down by 138.26 basis points or 0.99%. S&P 500 also lost 16.93 basis points or 0.41% on today's session. On the other hand, the futures of all 3 major indexes inched higher by more than 0.20%.
Bond prices pulled back with yield increase in reaction to Federal Reserve Chair Powell's comments.
Below is the brief rundown of the market's movement;
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 33,731 with a gain of 53.62 or 0.16%
- NASDAQ Composite Index ended at 13,858 dropping 138.26 or 0.99%
- S&P 500 Index lost 16.93 or 0.41% and closed with 4,125
- Hong Kong's Han Sen struggled with 165.02 or 0.56% loss
- Japan's Nikkei 225 bagged 21.70 or 0.07% and ended 29,642.62
- U.S. 2 Year Treasury lost 0.06 basis points or 3.59% and closed at 0.161
- U.S. 5 Year Treasury went down by 0.003 basis points or 0.37% at 0.853
- U.S. 10 Year Treasury slipped 0.009 basis points or 0.54% and ended 1.631
Commodities managed to gain back some of their value amidst market rally while global currencies rallied mixed after a good start.
- Gold went up to $1,744.95 per ounce after gaining 12.07 or 0.69%
- Silver now at $25.35 per ounce with a 2.12% step up or 0.54
- Western Texas Intermediate Crude increased 0.17% and now at $63.26 per barrel
- Brent crude now at $66.75 per barrel after jumping 0.26%
- U.S. Dollar Index dropped by 0.03% at 91.66
- Euro increased by 0.03% closing 1.19802 against USD
- Yen dropped 0.04% at 108.87 versus USD
- British Pound up by 0.07% at 1.3785 vs USD
- Canadian Dollars dipped by 0.01% at 1.2550 vs USD
For more financial related news and advisories browse as at Redwood Capital Management Limited website via https://redwoodcapitalmanagementltd.com/
, you may also check what we can offer for your own financial needs.