HIPAA Privacy Rule Primer — What the HIPAA Privacy Officer Needs to Know
By: WCS Consulting Inc
• Current topics of interest to be discussed include:The place of Information Security and incident management under the HIPAA Security and Breach Notification Rules will be explained.
• Current enforcement and audit activity,
• Changes to Substance Use Disorder records confidentiality under 42 CFR Part 2,
• Dealing with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and
• Ensuring individuals have adequate access of their information under the rules.
• Processes to be used in managing security, mitigating risks, and handling incidents will be explained.
• Proper methods of documentation and training to ensure compliance and help avoid penalties will be explained, including the use of internal audits and drills to develop and hone the ability to:
• improve compliance continuously and
• be prepared for incidents and enforcement investigations.
This session will focus on understanding what are the issues that a HIPAA Privacy Officer faces today, and what are the areas of HIPAA that are changing. While the rules have been in place for years now, the focus of their application has changed as technologies and practices have changed, and changes to the rules are on the horizon. In addition, there are changes in other regulations that interact with HIPAA requirements, and that require consideration in your planning. The session will discuss the latest topics of interest and describe how they relate to the regulations and their enforcement today.
World Compliance Seminars