Key West Cost of Living Makes Unrealistic Dreams Become Reachable
The Key West cost of living will probably surprise anyone who thinks it's just way too expensive. Yes, the cost of housing is high but day to day living expenses are quite affordable. In fact, it makes seemingly unrealistic dreams become reachable.
By: Coldwell Banker Schmitt
Located in the Lower Keys and is the southernmost island in the nation, Key West is situated between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. It's an ideal place, with plenty of sun and fun. Here, summers are warm, balmy, while winters are super mild. Better yet, spring and fall seasons are fabulous.
Plus, there's so much to see and do around Key West. For instance: fishing, boating, sunbathing, volleyball, nightlife, live entertainment, sunsets and sunrises, sailing, scuba, snorkeling, biking, picnicking, and a lot more.
Let's get on the cost of living in Key West. We'll use a national baseline of 100 as an average. Anything above, more expensive, while anything below, less expensive. Here's a quick breakdown of the cost of living in Key West:
• 1. Transportation. Getting around in Key West is mostly done by private vehicle. But, also people bike and/or walk. The cost of transportation in Key West comes out to 77, while the statewide figure is 130.
• 2. Utilities. The cost of utilities in Key West is also lower than the state score average of 101, being 99, which makes it more affordable.
• 3. Miscellaneous. For odds and ends, the cost of miscellaneous expenses in Key West comes to approximately 107, which is slightly above the nationwide figure.
• 4. Groceries. Being an island and being the southernmost point in the country, the cost of food in Key West is understandably a bit higher, scoring 113, which is higher than the state average of 102.
• 5. Healthcare. The cost of healthcare in Key West comes to 152, which is more than the national average.
• 6. Housing. Unsurprisingly, the cost of housing in Key West comes in at 324, with the median home price being $671,000.
Overall, the cost of living in Key West is a score of 171. When considering everyday living expenses aren't very costly, it makes Key West a really wonderful place to call home. For help buying or selling Key West or Lower Keys Real Estate please talk to Tina, a 40+ year resident of Key West who loves and cares about our islands at https://yourkeywestagent.com/