News By Tag
News By Location
Ultimate PCB Debugging Tool: LCR-Reader-MP
New device offers highest basic accuracy, up to kHz test frequency and more test modes, including AC/DC voltage testing, oscilloscope mode, frequency testing, LED and diode testing and more
Similar to LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers in use, users grasp components with the gold-plated tweezer probes and the device automatically determines the type of component and best test parameters to use before measuring with a 0.1% basic accuracy. All measurement values, including secondary values are instantly available on the large embedded display.
The Multipurpose device has all the measurement modes found on Smart Tweezers ST-1 and more, including pulse counting, AC/DC voltage measurements, signal generation, diode and LED testing, frequency measurements, and an oscilloscope mode. The device also has the ability to test using a 100 kHz frequency which offers a 1 nH resolution for inductance measurements and 0.01 pF for capacitance measurements.
The oscilloscope mode is most useful when used with the LCR-Reader Kelvin Probe Connector set. This set comes with 5 different attachments for LCR-Reader or Smart Tweezers and turns the multimeters into complete probe station and test components wider than the gap between the tweezer probes. When the MP is in this mode, the device is able to analyze voltage waveforms with frequencies up to 100 kHz on active circuit boards.
One of the most anticipated features of the Multi-Purpose is a wide range of test frequencies and the ability to test large capacitances up to 680 mF. The test frequencies available include: 50, 100, 120 Hz, 1, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 75, and 100 kHz. The device will measure electrolytic capacitors at 120 Hertz with ESR measured at 100 kHz according to regular electrolytic capacitor test conditions. When the MP is set to 'Large Capacitance Mode', the device will automatically reduce the test frequency to 25 Hertz which allows for reasonable accuracy.
Features on LCR-Reader-MP [http://www.lcr-
• Automatic LCR, ESR, LED and Diode measurements
• Better than 0.1% basic accuracy
• Measures Pulse Period, Duty Cycle and Frequency up to 400 kHz
• AC/DC Voltage measurements up to 15 V
• Signal Generator: Sine, Triangle, and Rectangle pulse shapes up to 100 kHz
• Oscilloscope Transient Voltage display up to 100 kHz
• Current measurements
• Two test signal levels: Automatic test signal reduction to 0.1V for in-circuit measurements
• LED, Diode and Continuity tests
• Easy Short/Open Calibration and Offset Removal
• Displays active and reactive impedance components
• 2 oz. weight
• Li-Ion battery and micro-USB charging port
• Gold-plated tweezer probes
• Large backlit display
• Jog-wheel navigation with the ability to change basic settings from the home screen
• NIST Traceable Calibration Certificate and FCC compliant
Unfortunately, there are some downsides to the device, including a maximum test signal of 0.65 Vrms which is not able to reliably test certain ceramic capacitors. When testing these components, the MP can offer lower than actual capacitance values. The MP also has a rather high test signal source resistance of 1 kOhm.
Siborg offers many other tools and testers for SMT in their online store, including Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader devices and Task Kits. These kits include a device and accessories, including spare probes and batteries. Some of the other offerings include:
• Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT2: a Bluetooth enabled Smart Tweezers device that is able to send and receive data wirelessly. The device connects to computers or mobile devices and can log measurement data in real time, including component type, main and secondary impedance values and all test parameters used. [http://www.smarttweezers.us/
• Kelvin Probe Connector: a shielded two-wire extension kit for LCR-Reader, LCR-Reader-MP and Smart Tweezers that turns the device into a full probe station and allows for measuring larger-sized components. The kit has 5 different attachments for the task at hand.
• LED Test Tweezers that test LEDs, circuitry, and other small components. Can also be used as tweezer probes when connected to a multimeter using the included cable.
• Smart Tweezers Offset Calibration Board: a dummy PCB that makes it easy to find and set offset values for Smart Tweezers
• SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers: tweezer probes that connect to most table-top multimeters using 4 mm jack plugs.
Siborg offers all these devices, accessories and replacement parts on their LCR-Reader Store [https://secure.lcr-
Siborg Systems Inc.
Page Updated Last on: Feb 01, 2018