News By Tag
News By Place
Introduction to Platonic Solids – Learn about Polyhedrons!
Answers 2000 today released a new eBook, "Amazing Math: Introduction to Platonic Solids". The eBook is available for free download between November 3rd and 7th (inclusive).
Introduction to Platonic Solids is a mathematical guide to the 5 Platonic solids (regular tetrahedron, cube, regular octahedron, regular dodecahedron, and regular icosahedron)
Introduction to Platonic Solids contains numerous illustrations, and great care has been taken to make sure math notation displays properly on the Amazon Kindle (unlike some math books by other authors/publishers)
The topics covered in the book include:
* What the Platonic solids are
* The history of the discovery of Platonic solids
* The common features of all Platonic solids
* The geometrical details of each Platonic solid
* Examples of where each type of Platonic solid occurs in nature
* How we know there are only five types of Platonic solid (geometric proof)
* A topological proof that there are only five types of Platonic solid
* What are dual polyhedrons
* What is the dual polyhedron for each of the Platonic solids
* The relationships between each Platonic solid and its dual polyhedron
* How to calculate angles in Platonic solids using trigonometric formulae
* The relationship between spheres and Platonic solids
* How to calculate the surface area of a Platonic solid
* How to calculate the volume of a Platonic solid
Also included in the book is a brief introduction to some other interesting types of polyhedra – prisms, antiprisms, Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra, Archimedean solids, Catalan solids, Johnson solids, and deltahedra.
Some familiarity with basic trigonometry and very basic algebra (high school level) will allow readers to get the most out of this book - but in order to make this book accessible to as many people as possible, it does include a brief recap on some necessary basic concepts from trigonometry.
To find out more about Introduction to Platonic Solids, please go to:
ABOUT INTRODUCTION TO PLATONIC SOLIDS
"Amazing Math: Introduction to Platonic Solids" is an eBook written by Sunil Tanna for Answers 2000, and is based on the author's personal experience as a math tutor of adults and children. The book contains many illustrations and explains, in simple plain English, main key concepts about polyhedra and geometry. There are numerous color illustrations in the book. For more information, please go to: