News By Tag
News By Location
David Consulting Group Conducts Function Point Market Penetration Survey
DCG conducts Function Point Market Penetration Survey, highlighting how IT professionals use function points today. Survey results indicate widespread use of sizing across industries and regions, as well as overall predominance of function points.
Survey Methodology and Sample
Survey results were generated based on a combination of electronic survey completions, interviews and a historical analysis of DCG’s function point customer data.
Survey respondents spanned industries, including Service (25%), Finance (22%), Government (16%), Manufacturing (10%), Telecom (8%), Software (7%), Aerospace (4%) and more. In addition, respondents covered the globe: North America (42%), Europe (29%), Asia (15%), South America (10%) and Australia (1%).
Overall, the survey results showcase the widespread use of sizing – ninety-eight percent of the respondents have performed application development sizing at some point. In addition, a majority of the respondents have been sizing for three or more years for projects (69%) or applications (58%) .
Other key takeaways from the survey include:
• Function points are the predominant measure for sizing application development software – most respondents utilize function points (IFPUG – 71%, Quick and Early Function Points – 14%, COSMIC – 11%) over alternatives (Lines of Code – 27%, Use Case Points – 19%, Story Points – 19%, T-Shirt – 15% and Component-based Sizing – 11%).
• Across industries, sizing is most often used for estimating projects, particularly development projects (78%). However, sizing for performance management is also popular internally (52%).
• Sizing is largely performed by in-house resources, with centralized, dedicated teams (50%) or development teams (48%).
• In North America, sizing is predominantly used for estimating development projects (32%), planning (25%), budgeting (20%) and internal performance measurement (20%).
• Most organizations (40%) do not audit their sizing results. Conversely, 36 percent utilize an in-house centralized, dedicated team to audit the results and 16 percent employ an external professional sizing team.
• Fewer than 20 percent of respondents use an automated tool to manage sizing; in fact, most respondents rely on manual spreadsheets for this task (69%).
“The results of the survey indicate that sizing is more than a trend, it’s here to stay; increasingly, more and more companies, across industries, are applying some form of sizing measure to both applications and projects,” said David Herron, Vice President of Software Performance Management. “While overall use of sizing is growing, we advocate that these companies expand their use of the sizing metric, as well as further protect their investment by ensuring the accuracy of their sizing data with audits and the use of automated, commercial tools for data management.”
Listen to David Herron discuss the presentation highlights (https://www3.gotomeeting.com/
For more information about the survey or Function Points, contact David Herron (mailto:d.herron@
About David Consulting Group
DCG is an international software development consulting firm helping companies frustrated with development costs, hampered by poor quality or struggling to estimate and achieve on-time delivery. DCG has successfully helped global organizations and their partners to make timely, effective changes to results and culture by providing them with specialized expertise in software measurement, sizing and process improvement, as well as IT performance improvement. DCG maintains a U.S. corporate office in Malvern, PA, and a European corporate office, DCG-SMS, in Blackpool, UK.
For more information, visit www.davidconsultinggroup.com.