News By Tag
News By Place
Mobile Health Applications: 2012 Study
Weight Loss and Exercise Leading The Way In Healthcare Application Downloads
The results show that weight loss and exercise applications are more heavily downloaded by far than any others. The study examines the adoption of mHealth as a part of personal health management. It also provides further insight as to what health categories people may be interested in when using mHealth applications to manage their health and wellness.
Key findings include:
1. Weight Loss and Exercise apps dominated the top 150 downloaded mHealth apps on both the iPhone and Android devices.
2. iPhone users are seven times more likely to pay for a mobile healthcare app than Android users.
3. Medical reference applications were downloaded ten times more by Android consumers than by iPhone consumers.
4. Weight Loss and Exercise comprised 60 percent of total downloads. When "Weight Loss" and "Exercise" were removed from consideration, the following are the top six categories, in order:
Sleep and Meditation
Tools and Instruments
5. Top grossing applications for both Android and iPhone combined were Exercise, Weight Loss, Sleep & Meditation and Women's Health.
"While mHealth is in its infancy, the potential of mHealth applications is well on its way. Though, no where in the top 150 applications for both iPhone and Android did we find significant downloads of connected medical and health applications such as blood pressure monitoring that delivers feedback to physicians offices, so it appears that the real potential of mHealth in terms of monitoring, diagnosing and providing real time results falls short here," said Abe Kasbo, CEO of Verasoni Worldwide. "What this study tells us is what people are downloading. We do not know if and how these mHealth apps are being used or if they are having the desired effect that both their publisher or user has in mind," continued Kasbo.
The study was conducted by AhHa! Insights, the research division of marketing and public relations firm Verasoni Worldwide. To view the entire study please visit http://verasoni.com/
About Verasoni Worldwide
Verasoni Worldwide is an integrated marketing and public relations firm with offices in Montclair, New Jersey and New York City. Verasoni Worldwide delivers expertise to multiple markets including healthcare, financial services and banking, government, travel and hospitality and not for profit. Verasoni Worldwide develops and implements meaningful, cut-through marketing communications strategies for clients. Verasoni Worldwide is a pioneer in the integration of digital and traditional media, including public relations, advertising, brand development, reputation management and global marketing communications strategies. To learn more visit http://www.verasoni.com.