News By Tag
* Open Source
* Mark Up
* More Tags...
News By Location
IwGame Engine – Free Open Source Mark-up Driven Game Engine for iOS, Android, Bada, Blackberry
IwGame Engine – Free open source mark-up driven rapid game development engine for smart phones, tablets, desktop and emerging technologies
The IwGame engine is a mark-up driven game engine that uses an XML based language called XOML (similar in design to Microsoft's XAML and Adobes MXML), allowing rapid production of complex game layouts, front-ends, very complex multi-part key frame animations, actors, scenes, events actions, resources etc..
The latest version along with historical versions of the IwGame Engine are available for free download at the drmop.com blog at http://www.drmop.com/
Pocketeers Limited's first game title created using the IwGame engine called cOnnecticOns has just gone live on the Android Market and will soon also be available for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung Bada and Blackberry Playbook. This game was created simultaneously for iOS, Android, Bada and Playbook in just 3 days. The game code is over 90% mark-up based!
The full source to cOnnecticOns will be released this weekend on http://www.drmop.com
For more information about cOnnecticOns please visit http://appliter.com/
The game can be downloaded directly from the Android Market at https://market.android.com/
The IwGame Engine's feature set is quite extensive including:
- Native and cross platform
- Free and open source
- Fully documented
- Support for multiple platforms (iPhone, iPad, Android, Bada, BBX, Symbian, Windows Mobile, mobile Linux, LG-TV, Windows and Mac OS)
- Layered sprites / sprite management (CIwGameSprite)
- Support for text and fonts. Also support for text based sprites and text based game actors
- Extensible actor / scene / camera system for organising game and game objects. Also supports multi-part actors with independent animation time lines per part and automatic hit testing.
- Box2D integration into the scene and actor system as well as XOML. Physical objects, materials and shapes can be defined declaratively.
- Advanced extensible animation system based on time lines with smooth key frame interpolation, easing (linear, quadratic, cubic and quartic in and out), delta / absolute animations. Also supports start, end and repeat events and actions
- Multi-channel audio and music playback
- Touch and multi-touch support
- Button, keyboard, accelerometer and compass support
- Powerful extensible XML based mark-up system (XOML) – Enables definition of IwGame objects from XML script such as Scenes, Actors, Images, Animations, Timelines, Shapes, Physical materials, ResourceGroups, Cameras, Actions, Events, Variables, Styles and Templates.
- Queued POST / GET http communications
- Global and scene local resources, including automated clean-up
- Support for resource groups
- Support for particle system actors
- Auto handles resizing to any size / aspect ratio display using virtual canvasses
- Auto handles frame rate variations to produce smooth animation
- IwGameAd engine which mediates ad collection, display and click processing across multiple ad providers (12 providers supported to date). - Ad system uses an animation system that is producing 3%-8% CTR
- Support for streamed IO style access to memory
- Support for simple, fast and memory efficient XML serialisation using memory pooling
- On demand GIF, PNG and JPEG image loading over HTTP
- PNG image format saving
- String builder support reducing memory fragmentation when dealing with strings
- Platform agnostic File I/O
- Timers and other utilities
- Supports ultra smooth animation via sub-pixel rendering
- Supports batch rendering for optimised image rendering
The IwGame Engine has been in development for over 6 months and has gone through 10 iterations. The engine is also updated regularly with new and interesting features. The next update will feature support for Facebook integration and conditional XOML actions. Future releases will include support for in-app purchasing, analytics, video playback, camera access and 3D gaming.
he IwGame engine also features the IwGameAds SDK, which is a unified cross platform ad collection, display and processing SDK using eye catching animation to increase CTR (currently 3% - 8%, varying by platform). Direct and indirect support for Inner-active, AdFonic, Vserv, InMobi, BuzzCity, JumpTap, ZestAdz / Komli Mobile, Mojiva, Millennial Media, AdMob, Amobee and AdModa a networks. IwGameAds uses a priority based automated ad collection system that will collect ads from lower priority providers if ads are unavailable from higher priority providers. IwGameAds is available as part of the IwGame engine or as a separate SDK.
The IwGame engine is built atop the Marmalade SDK (http://www.madewithmarmalade.com)
IwGame is currently being used by nearly 200 developers.
# # #
Pocketeers Limited is a UK based game developer founded in 2002 by industry veterans Mat Hopwood and Dave Garrison. Pocketeers produces, publishes and markets gaming technologies, apps and games for smart phones, desktops and tablet devices using the IwGame Engine, Marmalade SDK, HTML 5, Java and XNA /Silverlight.