Tips from the IRS for recently married or divorced taxpayers who have a name change

If you changed your name as a result of a marriage or divorce, you’ll want to take the necessary steps to ensure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration.
By: SFS Tax, Accounting & College Planning Services
Feb. 4, 2011 - PRLog -- Port St Luie, FL-This information comes from the IRS and should be heeded to assure a prompt tax refund. A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records can cause problems in the processing of your return and may even delay your refund. Please contact us at for more information.

Here are five tips from the IRS for recently married or divorced taxpayers who have a name change.

1.  If you took your spouse’s last name or if both spouses hyphenate their last names, you may run into complications if you don’t notify the SSA. When newlyweds file a tax return using their new last names, IRS computers can’t match the new name with their Social Security Number.

2.   If you were recently divorced and changed back to your previous last name, you’ll also need to notify the SSA of this name change.

3.   Informing the SSA of a name change is easy; you’ll just need to file a Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card at your local SSA office and provide a recently issued document as proof of your legal name change.

4.    Form SS-5 is available on SSA’s website at, by calling 800-772-1213 or at local offices. Your new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.

5.   If you adopted your spouse’s children after getting married, you’ll want to make sure the children have an SSN. Taxpayers must provide an SSN for each dependent claimed on a tax return. For adopted children without SSNs, the parents can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number – or ATIN – by filing Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions with the IRS. The ATIN is a temporary number used in place of an SSN on the tax return. Form W-7A is available on the IRS website at, or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

# # #

About SFS Tax, Accounting & College Planning Services: With offices in Port St Lucie & Royal Palm Beach, FL, we are able to offer individual and corporate tax return preparation, full service business accounting and bookkeeping and payroll services. We work closely with business owners to make certain they meet all their necessary tax requirements and are entitled to every available break legally allowed by the IRS.
We also work with families of all income levels to create effective financial strategies to fund college without going broke, sacrificing their current lifestyle or risking financial security. We remove the frustration about paying for college and our experience enables us to untangle the mess, focus on the issues pertinent to their specific situation and help them to make wise financial decisions to achieve their education funding goals. There are thousands of academic and financial strategies that can help make college more affordable and we work to find the right one.
Email:*** Email Verified
Tags:Port St Lucie Tax Preparation, South Florida Tax Prep, Port St Lucie Tax Preparer, Royal Palm Beach Tax Preparation
Industry:Tax preparation
Location:Port St. Lucie - Florida - United States
Account Email Address Verified     Account Phone Number Verified     Disclaimer     Report Abuse
Page Updated Last on: Feb 04, 2011
SFS Tax Problem Solutions PRs
Trending News
Most Viewed
Top Daily News

Like PRLog?
Click to Share