Follow on Google News
News By Tag
News By Place
Follow on Google News
6 Important Steps When Moving Into Your New Home
By: First Weber
1. Finding your home's circuit breaker box right away means you'll be able to act quickly in case of a power outage or in an emergency situation, such as an electrical fire. Some common locations are the basement or garage, but sometimes they can be tucked away on the exterior of the home or in a closet.
2. Few things can cause more damage to your home than a water or gas leak. Locate both your water and gas shut-off valves right away and consider showing them to everyone who lives with you as a safety measure. Most homes will have a water shut-off valve in the kitchen and near each toilet, while gas shut-off valves are typically located closer to the gas meter.
3. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are vital to the safety of you and your family. Not only is it important to locate these tools in your new home, but it is equally important to test out each device to make sure they are functioning properly. If they aren't working, do what you need to do to get them in working order as soon as possible or purchase new ones.
4. It's not the most exciting part of moving into a new home but take a moment to identify emergency escape routes and create an emergency plan with your family. Consider installing a lockbox or asking a friend or family member who lives close by to hold on to a spare key.
5. Most heating and cooling systems use a replaceable filter to ensure good airflow and prevent wear and tear. It's a good idea to look at the HVAC filter, check for dirt and debris, and see if it's time to swap it out for a new one.
6. Homeowners insurance is typically required before you can close on a home, but if you haven't already secured a policy, do so immediately.
The See Team is one of the premiere real estate teams in the greater Madison and Middleton Wisconsin area. We have over 60 years of combined experience in real estate.
If you're relocating to the Madison - Middleton Wisconsin area, we'll tell you about our neighborhoods, schools and best places to live. We've lived here all our lives and raised our families here.
If you're looking for the perfect house, home, condo, town home or land for sale in the Madison / Middleton real estate area, we're your team.
SEE the difference.