iForGit – The Answer to Lost or Forgotten IBM i Source Changes
iForGit is a Native IBM i Git Client for Management SEU and RDI Source
By: MobiGoGo LLC
Git has been available on IBM i for IFS source management for the past several years. However, one of the challenges with using Git for traditional IBM i developers has been the lack of seamless integration of SEU and PDM to a Git repository for classic 5250 based source version control. On the RDi side, RDi developers have often turned to iProjects and other methods to manage source in the IFS, but the result is often an edit and commit workflow experience that doesn't feel natural or has more manual steps than it should.
"The main purpose of iForGit is to allow any IBM i shop to immediately simplify the IBM i source edit, commit and change review process and quickly add Git version control for compliance if the business has no source management in place", says Richard Schoen of MobiGoGo. "iForGit slips in seamlessly to any existing development infrastructure in minutes. IBM i source can continue to stay in source files for as long as desired so there's not a big bang learning curve or requirement to move all source to Git right away. Companies can start out by using Git more as a source member versioning and backup system that tracks changes and gets developers out of the source member copy business."
iForGit solves the problem of awkward IBM i Git source management with a native IBM i command interface allowing Git to be easily integrated with 5250 editing workflows via SEU/PDM and RDi based development environments via User Actions. Commands can also work with SSH for integration from editors such as VS Code.
iForGit commands can be used in conjunction with open source and commercial IBM i enterprise source and project management toolsets for teams who have implemented a best of breed build solution.
· Quickly add management and compliance around traditional IBM i source.
· Install and start versioning in minutes.
· Source code management can be made 100% automatic for SEU and RDi developers.
· Local Git source repositories can be managed in the IFS to augment existing source backups.
· Git repositories can live on-premise or in the cloud using a repository product such as:
· Daily Git repository backups can be scheduled for automatic hands-off source commits.
· Descriptive source member information can be stored in source member headers.
· Line numbers and date sequences can be retained to support SEU and RDi editing environments.
Visit MobiGoGo at: http://www.mobigogo.net to learn more.