Summer Glow: How To Choose The Right Tan For Your Skin
Summer has officially arrived - and now you have the opportunity to showcase your perfect tan!
By: MARQUE OF BRANDS
But never fear, you can still achieve serious #tangoals whatever your skin type, once you know how to select the right formula and shade for you. With so many options to choose from, self tan expert and founder of MineTan (https://www.minetanbodyskin.com/)
1. FIRST THINGS FIRST: KNOW YOUR SKIN TYPE
While some products work better on oily skin, others are best suited to sensitive skin - and there are so many different types on the market. Selecting the right product for you is really dependent on your skin type.
• Sensitive Skin: Seek out a tan which clearly states that it uses naturally-derived ingredients and offers skin-enriching, nourishing ingredients like argan oil and coconut water.
• Oily Skin: If you have greasy or acne-prone skin, steer clear of oil-based tans and instead look for a tan containing natural soothers such as aloe vera and vitamin E which have cleansing properties and are lighter weight. You should also opt for a spray tan or self tan foam over a lotion as these have a much lighter consistency and will be better for oily skin.
• Dry Skin: Try using a self tan which uses an ultra-hydrating ingredient at the heart of the tan. An example of this would be MineTan Coconut Water (https://us.shop.minetanbodyskin.com/
2. NEXT, SELECT THE RIGHT BASE COLOR
MineTan features several different colored bases including violet, olive, dark ash, caramel, and mink. The general rule of thumb is that all color bases can be used on all skin tones and they'll still look amazing, however, some people will find that they prefer a certain color base for their unique skin tone or for their desired skin finish.
• Violet Based tanning products are best suited to medium to dark skin tones, or anyone who wants to achieve that 'just back from a weekend in the Mediterranean' look. A mix of violet and dark brown bronzers counteracts yellow and orange undertones in your skin to deliver a natural looking rich, warm tan. Red and violet based tanning products look particularly gorgeous on olive skin tones or people who are fair but naturally tan quite easily.
• Dark Ash Based tanning products are best suited to light, medium and dark skin, or anyone wanting to channel a Brazilian vacay vibe. A mix of dark ash brown bronzers counteracts red and gold undertones in your skin to deliver a natural looking, cool intense tan.
• Caramel Based tanning products are very classic and suited to all skin tones from light to dark. It will create a sun-kissed, bronzed effect, just like caramel. A mix of golden caramel bronzers works best with lighter skin tones for a classic, golden glow
• Mink Based tanning offers a silky smooth, matte brown skin finish perfect for neutral skin tones. A mix of soft ash and brown bronzers to work with neutral skin tones to deliver a cool, mid-tone silky smooth skin finish.
• Olive Based tanning uses a green base to maximize your skin's deepest potential, capturing your natural skin color and amplifying it for darker, natural looking results. A mix of green and dark brown bronzers works with all skin tones to intensify your natural color
3. AVOID GOING TOO DARK
The golden rule with any fake tan is to never go so dark that it looks well, fake. If you have red hair and fair skin, we recommend two shades darker than your natural skin tone. If you have a naturally dark or deep complexion, three to four shades darker and you'll have a beautiful tan that doesn't look unnatural. You can also always choose to build your tan up, so you can darken the shade in stages. Or even easier, use a 1 hour express tan products - this enables you to control your color depth by choosing when you shower. You can shower in 1 hour for a natural tan, 2 hours for dark tan or 3+ hours for a deeper, darker tan.
4. MAINTAIN YOUR TAN WITH A GRADUAL TANNER
Extend and prolong your self tan by using a gradual tanner daily or every other day. Choose one with hydrating oils and other skin loving ingredients to maximize your color results and for a longer lasting, all-over even tan. Using a gradual tanner will ensure a more even fade to your tan, keep it looking fresh and more natural for longer.
5. LAST, BUT NOT LEAST… NEVER FORGET TO PREP
Regardless of whether you're prepping for an at-home self tan or a professional spray tan - it's extremely important that you exfoliate and moisturize your skin at least 24 hours before. Make sure that you always leave your skin clean and totally free of any deodorant, perfumes, and moisturizers the day of your tan - as anything that's left on your skin can act as a barrier causing discoloring and unevenness.
The Launch PR