Chronic Kidney Disease Market: Pipeline Review, Developer Landscape and Competitive Insights
With capital investments of over USD 4 billion, the market for chronic kidney disease is expected to witness uninterrupted growth, predicts Roots Analysis
By: Roots Anlaysis
Ishita Nanda, the principal analyst, stated, "Chronic kidney disease is responsible for approximately 5-10 million deaths per year, worldwide. In fact, over 90% of the patients suffering from reduced kidney function are unaware of their medical condition. The market is therefore, characterized by a pressing need for effective diagnostic and therapeutic solutions."
The report presents opinions on several key aspects of the market. Among other elements, it includes:
1. A detailed assessment of the current market landscape highlighting the drugs available / under development for treatment of chronic kidney disease. Presently, over 160 product candidates are being evaluated across various stages of development for the management / treatment of chronic kidney disease. Of these, 24% are in the preclinical or discovery phase. Amongst the drugs that are under clinical development, 33 are in phase III / pre-registration, 47 in phase II, and 22 in phase I and phase I/II trials. Interestingly, since 2012, 22 product candidates have been commercialized.
2. An in-depth analysis of the product pipeline and developer companies, featuring three schematic representations;
3. An insightful market assessment summary, highlighting the clinical and commercial attractiveness of pipeline molecules (phase II and phase III), taking into consideration size of enrolled patient population (for the trial in the highest phase of development)
4. An analysis highlighting the key unmet needs across chronic kidney disease, featuring an analysis of content presented on informal (100 patient blogs and over 3,000 social media posts) and formal (180 scientific articles) literary sources, and the opinions expressed by industry experts confirm the existence of several unmet needs within the CKD market.
5. An insightful competitive analysis, highlighting the key players in the domain on the basis of the strength of their respective development portfolios, taking into account company size and the stage of development of lead molecules in their respective pipelines.
6. A detailed analysis identifying the key opinion leaders (KOLs), featuring a 2X2 analysis to assess the relative experience of certain KOLs who were shortlisted based on their contributions (in terms of involvement in various clinical studies) to this field.
7. An analysis of the partnerships that have been established in the recent past. We observed that 28% of the agreements signed between 2015 and 2018 were related to research and development. These were followed by development and commercialization agreements (23%), licensing agreements (22%), commercialization agreements (15%), acquisitions (5%), mergers (5%), and manufacturing agreements (2%).
8. An analysis of the investments made at various stages of development in companies that are focused in this area. Across all funding rounds, the most active investors include (in terms of participation in funding rounds) Omega Funds, Flagship Pioneering, Polaris Partners, venBio Select, Oxford Finance, OrbiMed Advisors, Morningside Group, Limulus Venture Partners, Cormorant Asset Management, AJU IB Investment and Sibling Capital.
Nanda further remarked, "The current market landscape is characterized by the presence of established and small-sized companies and prominent academic institutions, which are engaged in the development of various product candidates, either independently or in collaboration with industry players. It is worth mentioning that most of the research activity in this domain is concentrated in the developed regions (North America and Europe)."
The research covers product portfolios of several companies, including:
2. Astellas Pharma
5. Bristol-Myers Squibb
6. Daiichi Sankyo
7. Eli Lilly and Company
9. Ironwood Pharmaceuticals
10. Kyowa Hakko Kirin
11. Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma
12. Novartis Pharmaceuticals
14. Shield Therapeutics
14. Vifor Pharma
For additional details, please visit