News By Tag
News By Location
Get Your Sneaky On With Cauliflower Mac-n-Cheese
This recipe for Cauliflower Mac-n-Cheese will have your kids eating more vegetables in now time.
By: Esa's Closet
So how do we get our kids to eat more vegetables?
We sneak them into their favorites foods, that's how!
I've been known to sneak spinach and kale into a few smoothies or soups in my day.
But I've found that cauliflower can be added to a lot of foods or substituted for other ingredients in multiple dishes to make them healthier. I've made cauliflower rice, which both of my boys loved. I've added it to mashed potatoes and hash browns. I've even added it to soups.
This Cauliflower Mac-n-Cheese recipe from The Food Network, though, is a hit in my house! However, I will say that it tastes more like au gratin potatoes, but my kids still love it. It's thick, creamy, and oh-so-very satisfying.
I've found that you really need to drain all the water out of the cauliflower before you bake it or it will get a little runny. I do this by putting the cauliflower into a cheesecloth and just squeezing out all the excess water. Then I lay it on some paper towel while I prepare the cheese sauce.
Here's the recipe... with my suggested alterations :)
• Salt (I use Pink Himalayan (https://draxe.com/
• 1 large head of cauliflower cut into small florets
• Nonstick spray (I use coconut oil or olive oil)
• 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
• 2 oz of cream cheese (I melt mine slightly by putting it in the microwave for 30 seconds - it makes it easier to mix into the sauce)
• 1.5 tsp of Dijon Mustard (this is optional in my opinion)
• 1.5 cups of shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
• 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
• 1/8 tsp garlic powder
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
• Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
• Spray the baking dish with nonstick spray.
• Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Drain well (cheesecloth)
• Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts.
• Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine.
• Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15-20 minutes.
• Serve warm!
That's it. Give it a try and let us know how you liked it!
Feature Image Courtesy of GOOD FOOD IRELAND. (https://www.goodfoodireland.ie/