SMART Webinar -- You are Powerful: A Message to Young People from Dr. Robert Schwebel
Author and developer of The Seven Challenges® Program for youth
By: SMART Recovery
Saturday, April 23, 2016, 5:00 pm EDT
Free registration link below.
SMART Recovery® is pleased to present a talk with author and developer of The Seven Challenges® Program, Dr. Robert Schwebel. We are interested in learning how to engage youth who have problems with drugs in meaningful conversations and to support them in taking power over their lives. Dr. Schwebel's work is designed for counseling settings, and we think you'll find his approach highly complementary with SMART in the continuum of care.
In implementing The Seven Challenges Program, many practical lessons have been learned that are helpful in thinking about how to best to serve and collaborate with youth. The conversation will focus on attitudes, strategies, and messages that engage and empower youth, and there will be plenty of time for questions and answers.
The 7 Challenges are:
1) We decided to open up and talk honestly about ourselves and about alcohol and other drugs.
2) We looked at what we liked about alcohol and other drugs, and why we were using them.
3) We looked at our use of alcohol or other drugs to see if it has caused harm or could cause harm.
4) We looked at our responsibility and the responsibility of others for our problems.
5) We thought about where we seemed to be headed, where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to accomplish.
6) We made thoughtful decisions about our lives and about our use of alcohol and other drugs.
7) We followed through on our decisions about our lives and drug use. If we saw problems, we went back to earlier challenges and mastered them. (© Robert Schwebel 1995)
They provide a framework for helping youth think through their own decisions about their lives and their use of alcohol and other drugs. Counselors using The Seven Challenges Program teach youth to identify and work on the issues most relevant to them. In sessions, as youth discuss the issues that matter most, counselors seamlessly integrate the Challenges as part of the conversation. The Seven Challenges is listed as an evidence-based program in the SAMHSA National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices.
Robert Schwebel, Ph.D., a psychologist specializing in couples and family issues and in the prevention and treatment of substance abuse, provides lectures and training sessions to professional and community audiences around the country and abroad. Dr. Schwebel has developed and directed prevention and counseling programs for schools as well as public and private agencies. He has published numerous articles and is the author of several books including Saying No Is Not Enough; Keep Your Kids Tobacco-Free; and Who's on Top, Who's on Bottom: How Couples Can Learn to Share Power. In addition, he has appeared on The Oprah Show, The Today Show, in numerous CNN interviews, and The CBS Early Show, and currently writes for thefix.com and Pro Talk at rehabs.com. Robert lives with his family in Tucson, Arizona.
Please register here: http://www.anymeeting.com/
SMART Recovery is pleased to continue to bring you free webinars of interest to the SMART participant community, our volunteers and facilitators, professionals, friends and family members, and of course, the general public. http://www.smartrecovery.org
SMART Recovery Special Events