News By Tag
News By Place
How to measure a building work - Some necessary tips
Every estimators should follow some useful guidelines to make the estimating process error less.
For starting a brief estimate, an estimator should possess the data given below :
Plans, sections and other details associated with the work.
Specifications focusing on the proper nature and a class of materials for application.
Lastly the proposed rates for executing various items of work. In order to find out the quantities precisely, an estimator (http://www.quantity-
How to make an estimate
There exist three crucial steps for making out an estimate:-
1 . Detecting quantities
While detecting quantities, the measurements should be acquired from the drawings and put on the measurement sheet or dimension paper. The measurements should be based on the unit of measurement. The unit of measurement will range from cubic meter in 1st case and square meter in the second case.
2. Squaring out
The second phase includes preparing volumes, areas, etc. as well as casting up their total in standard units.
In the third stage, all the items with the net results acquired in the second stage are forwarded to specially ruled sheets containing rate column set for pricing from measurement sheets . A third person must verify all the calculations and each transferred entry made in the second and third stages to get rid of any mathematical or copying omissions.
Standard Method of Measurement of Building Works
An Estimator finds it difficult to cope up with the various systems of measurement offered by various Central and State Government departments as well as construction agencies. It also results in standing cause of controversies. So, there should be a harmonization among diversified methods at the technical level.
Principles of Deciding Unit of Measurement
The units of measurement of different items are very complicated. In order to select the ideal units of measurement, the undermentioned principles should be followed.
1. The unit of measurement should be uncomplicated and simplified to measure, record and understand.
2. The unit of measurement should designate for fair payment of concerned work.
3. In the result it should provide quantities, which should not be too little or too outsized.
4. The price per unit should not contain a very minute figure or a very large one. Usually items with higher cost will be calculated in smaller units and lower cost in bigger units.
5. The unit of measurement may at times rely upon the unit for the raw material and/or labor and/or significant dimensions.
Published by Rajib Dey
Like us on facebook