News By Tag
News By Location
Be Savvy About Saving Water This Summer
On 5th April a hosepipe ban was put in place affecting around 20 million people in the UK. It’s expected to last until the end of the summer so what better time is there to start thinking about ways to conserve water.
1. Turn the tap off when brushing teeth or shaving and save on a daily basis! A running tap wastes more than six litres of water a minute!
2. Cooking at home is a growing trend, so be clever with it and wash fruit and vegetables in a washing-up bowl full of water instead of under a running tap
3. Choose a shower over a bath- a quick shower can use much less water than a bath. Reducing time in a shower by one minute could save a family of four 12,000 litres of water a year
4. Wash clothes at 30 degrees instead of 50 and only use appliances when they are full. Half load cycles use more than half the energy and water of a full load
5. Fit a water saving device in the toilet and save up to three litres a flush! Cistern conversion kits are available for around £30 from DIY stores such as B&Q.
For eco-homeowners who want to get even more serious about water saving, rainwater harvesting is becoming a growing trend. Fitted underneath a garden the systems collect rainwater landing on a roof and stores it for use in the home. Using this water to flush a toilet, water the garden and wash the car means savvy eco-households won’t be caught short by the hosepipe ban this summer.
For more information about Rainwater Harvesting from Polypipe Home Solutions or to find a local fitter who can provide a quote visit www.homesolutions.polypipe.com or call 01709 770 000