News By Tag
* Sae J1939
* CAN software
* Controller Area Network
* CAN hardware
* J1939 Protocol Stack
* More Tags...
News By Place
SAE J1939 Protocol Software Tools released by esd electronics
esd electronics, Inc. announces the release of their SAE J1939 Protocol Software Tools including J1939 Stack Source Code, J1939 Monitoring and Device Simulation, and the J1939 Starter Kit.
By: Wilfried Voss, esd electronics, Inc
esd electronics, a leading manufacturer of industrial-strength CAN hardware and software, has developed a all-encompassing set of software tools to support the development, test, and simulation of J1939-based Electronic Control Units (ECU).
The esd J1939 Protocol Stack design allows quick development of applications supporting the SAE J1939 protocol. Written in ANSI-C code, the esd J1939 Stack provides a maximum level of portability, and supports little- and big-endian systems. It is easily adaptable to different target systems through the modification of #include and #define directives.
An SAE J1939 Application Programming Interface (API, Object Code) for Windows is also available. It works in combination with all esd CAN hardware interfaces, and it includes a J1939 Simulation Tool plus J1939/CAN Monitoring software.
The protocol stack includes some very special features to accelerate the implementation task:
• Sending of PGN data
• No need to care about BAM or RTS/CTS: done automatically depending on data size and destination. Optionally done by callback, to send even larger amount of data with a minimum of resource usage. Automatic broadcasts: stack can automatically broadcast PGNs in a given interval.
• Receiving PGN data
• Done in convenient callback function for easy differentiating between sources and types (complete data, data chunk, interruption etc.) Filtering by PG Number and/or source address possible. Splitting to extra callback for Diagnostic Messages possible.
• Network Management
• Automatic handling of address claiming procedures. All four address configuration types possible. (Non Configurable, Service Configurable, Command Configurable and Self Configurable)
• Multiple Devices
• Even multiple devices in a single software instance are possible. Activated simply by changing a value in a #define. Interface remains unchanged except for an additional deviceNumber parameter in every function.
• Resource specific features controllable by defines:
Max number of possible simultaneously transport protocol transfers (Separated by incoming and outgoing).
Max number of queued BAMs. (BAM queue can even be set to consider message's priority when full)
Max number of automatic broadcasts.
Filter functions are excluded from build when defined to be unused.
• ANSI C.
Tested under little- and big endian systems.
Simply adaptable to new systems usually just by adding some #includes and #defines. (Examples exist)
For further technical information, see our website at http://www.esd-
# # #
esd electronics, Inc. has 20 years experience as qualified system integrators in industrial automation specializing in Controller Area Network (CAN) technologies CANopen, DeviceNet and J1939 providing CAN interfaces for PCI, PCIe, cPCI, ISA, VME, & PC104.