News By Tag
* Swansea Christmas Parade
* Swansea's Christmas Parade
* Christmas Lights
* Lights Switch On
* More Tags...
News By Location
Key traffic information for Christmas Parade
A SERIES of road closures will be in place this weekend to accommodate the annual Christmas Parade and festive lights switch-on.
The parade starts at 5pm on Sunday November 20 and offers the chance for thousands of spectators to watch Father Christmas and many floats and entertainment advance through the city centre and illuminate the lights as they go.
The parade begins at the Dylan Thomas Centre in Somerset Place before continuing onto Wind Street, College Street, the Kingsway and St Helen's Road before finishing at the Guildhall at about 6.30pm.
Guildhall North Road will be closed in its entirety from 2pm to 9pm.
The following roads will be closed on a rolling basis between 4.30pm and 7pm as the parade progresses through the city. Signs indicating alternative routes will be in place where appropriate.
* East Burrows Road from the junction with Somerset Place to its junction with Cambrian Place
* Somerset Place for its whole length
* Ferry Side for its whole length
* Bath Lane for its whole length
* Adelaide Street from its junction with Bath Lane and Somerset Place
* Victoria Road/Quay Parade at the junction with Wind Street while the parade crosses over between Somerset Place and Wind Street. This will be for a short period of time and will be done in blocks so traffic can still flow.
* Wind Street for its whole length
* Caer Street for its whole length
* Castle Bailey Street for its whole length
* Castle Street for its whole length
* College Street for its whole length
* The Kingsway from its junction with College Street to its junction with Dillwyn Street (Westbound bus and taxi lanes). It will also be temporarily closed from its junction with Belle Vue Way to St Helen's Road (Westbound left hand lane only)
* St Helen's Road from its junction from Guildhall Road South to its junction with the Kingsway
* St Helen's Crescent from its junction with Guildhall Road South to its junction with Brynymor Road and St Helen's Road
* Guildhall South Road from its junction with Guildhall Road North to St Helen's Crescent
Frances Jenkins, Swansea Council's Strategic Manager for Tourism, Marketing and Events, said: "The Christmas Parade is a fantastic family occasion and gets people in the mood for Christmas. This year's packed programme of events will prove no exception."
Visit http://www.swanseachristmas.com for more information.
The Christmas Parade and light switch-on is supported by 102.1 Bay Wales
# # #
News about activities, events and attractions in Swansea, Wales, UK.
Includes offers and information about leisure centres, gyms and sport; also museums, galleries, parks, shows and events in Swansea.