News By Tag
News By Location
J.P. Morgan Survey Finds Improved Investor Relations And Corporate Governance Standards In Latam
Study Also Reveals Long-Term Positive Investment Outlook for Latin America
The primary reason for the optimism found in the survey results is the region’s expected economic growth due to compelling demographic trends that should boost demand for goods and services. Investors are also encouraged by improving corporate governance standards, the prevalence of natural resources, low levels of consumer debt, and the continued development of capital markets and infrastructure across Latin America.
Titled “North America and European Investor Opinions of Latin American Companies”, the survey indicates that:
• Investors believe that IR and corporate governance standards in the region have improved over time, but also feel that it is vital for companies to further bolster their efforts in these areas as they continue to compete for global capital.
• Investors rank Mexican companies second only to Brazilian companies and equal to Chilean companies for their investor relations. However, Mexican companies also ranked among the lowest, as best practices are concentrated among Mexico´s largest companies, according to investors.
• With respect to corporate governance practices, Mexican companies ranked third behind those in Brazil and Chile. But best practices in this area are also limited to Mexico´s largest companies, in the eyes of investors.
• Investors view Brazil and Colombia as the most promising markets in Latin America over the next one to three years, while they are tentative about investing in Peru, Argentina and Venezuela, where there is a lack of clarity pertaining to the political situations in these countries.
• Investors surveyed agree that the best way for Latin American companies to improve their IR efforts is by enhancing disclosure, and improving the quality of their investor presentations, providing all investor materials in English; increasing access to senior management; and proactively communicating with investors and sell-side analysts.
• Over 50% of survey participants believe that Brazil has the best corporate governance standards in Latin America, primarily due to the creation of the Novo Mercado.
• In order to improve corporate governance, investors recommend that Latin American companies protect the interests of minority shareholders by: implementing a single-class share structure; increasing financial transparency;
• 60% of the executives surveyed believe that a U.S. listing increases the investment appeal of a Latin American company, mainly citing the increased liquidity that it offers.
Joe Dooley, DR Executive for the Americas at J.P. Morgan, said: “As more companies look abroad for capital, the competition for it becomes increasingly fierce. Latin American companies are no longer just competing with each other for capital, but with companies in other emerging markets, such as China and India, as well. We believe the findings of our survey will help our clients better understand the disposition of North American and European investors toward Latin America companies and ultimately help them enhance their investor relations efforts to better compete for global investors and their capital.”
For market information on DRs and international equities please view J.P. Morgan’s award-winning web site: www.adr.com. For more information on J.P. Morgan’s DR services please visit: http://www.jpmorgan.com/
About the survey methodology:
In June and July of 2011, Ipreo conducted, on behalf of J.P. Morgan’s Depositary Receipts Group, a telephone-based survey of global institutional investors in the United States, Canada, and Europe (United Kingdom, France, Sweden, Switzerland and the Netherlands)
About JPMorgan Chase & Co.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com.
This document is for information purpose only. It is intended neither to influence your investment decisions nor to amend or supplement any agreement governing your relations with J.P. Morgan. J.P. Morgan shall not be liable for any damages or costs of any type arising out of or in any way connected with your use of the mentioned information. J.P. Morgan does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information herein provided, either no representations as to the legal, regulatory, financial, tax or accounting implications of the matter in this document. © 2011 JPMorgan Chase & Co. All rights reserved. Ombudsman J.P. Morgan: Tel: 0800 – 7700847/E-mail:
Contacto con Medios:
Sandra Aguilar y Jesús Calvo,
Del Cueto & Asociados
Asesores en Comunicación Estratégica
Tel. (52 55) 56 62 04 15 ext. 15 y 16
# # #
Somos una empresa 100% mexicana, especializada en el diseño y aplicación de planes y actividades de Comunicación Estratégica, Relaciones Públicas 2.0, y Difusión en Medios.
Con un fuerte énfasis en desarrollo de Marcas, Imagen.