News By Tag
* Horror Writing
* Fiction Writing
* Creative Writing
* Online Classes
* Online Courses
* More Tags...
News By Location
Learn the Art of Horror Writing for Fun and Profit
Creative writing course to be taught at Virtual University by noted author and educator.
Author, producer and international educator Laurie Notch developed the course for Virtual University and is teaching the class. Beginning writers are welcome. Participants will learn the basics of writing horror fiction: how to structure a plot so that the story flows from beginning to end; how to create tension, conflict, and cliffhangers;
Horror stories have been popular for centuries. These chilling stories give us a healthy respect for danger, teach values, and help us face – even mock – death. While terror is rooted in conditions that exist in the external world, horror comes from the darkness that dwells in the human mind. Whether you yearn to write about ghosts, creepy dolls, insane asylums, or axe-wielding maniacs, this writing workshop will help you discover the horror in everyday life and turn it into a potential bestseller.
Writers who complete this course should be able to:
* Understand how horror fiction differs from other writing genre
* Identify the elements that make horror classics such as The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street and Dracula so chilling
* Try new techniques for writing eerie events and horrible happenings
* Analyze the masters of horror and understand why they wrote what they did
* Explore the Gothic Movement and the works of Mary Shelley, Edgar Allen Poe, and Bram Stoker
* Be familiar with the three main groups of horror: psychological, allegorical and sociological
* Effectively use the essential ingredients of horror writing to create great settings and atmosphere
* Invent creepy, twisted characters and riveting action
* Learn how to structure a horror plot so that the story flows from beginning to end
* Break bad habits such as cliches, mixed metaphors, vague language, redundancy, and passive voice
* Gain insights on how to market, pitch, and promote your horror story
The registration fee for this course is $30 and enrollments are now being accepted. Unlike a traditional classroom, there is no waiting for classes to begin at Virtual University -- students can enroll and start learning immediately. The instructor's "office" is open 24/7, and students work at their own pace from the comfort of their home or office.
For more information about "The Art of Writing Horror" or to enroll in this course, visit the course home page at http://vu.ksurf.net/
For information about more than 100 other courses on a wide variety of topics including HTML and Web design, creative writing, self-help/inspirational themes, and academic courses, browse the Virtual University catalog of online classes at http://vu.ksurf.net/
About Laurie Notch:
Author and international educator Laurie Notch has published fiction, nonfiction, and cyber graphic novels. She has lectured at Tufts University and other colleges in the U.S., Europe, Africa, and Asia. She holds a B.A. in English Language and Literature from St. Cloud State University, Minnesota and an M.A. in Applied Anthropology with specialization in Social Semiotics from American University in Washington D.C. She is the Managing Editor of the print and online "Adventures for the Average Woman Magazine" whose mission is to promote women in the literary and visual arts. She is President of Wasted Minds Entertainment, a media production company that has produced television pilots including Strange Attractors (a reality TV program that investigates the odd and extraordinary)
# # #
About Virtual University
Virtual University is a friendly and supportive e-learning community that offers more than 100 low-cost, non-credit courses for continuing education, corporate training and self-improvement. Instructor-led and self-directed classes are available on many in-demand subjects including HTML and Web design, Internet technology, creative and nonfiction writing, self-help/inspirational themes, and academic subjects. Virtual University is a subsidiary of KSURF Knowledge Web and can be reached at http://vu.ksurf.net