News By Tag
News By Place
Follow on Google News
The Center for Urban Pedagogy and Pro Bono Net Announce "Figuring Out FEMA"
By: Pro Bono Net, Inc.
• How to apply for FEMA's Individual Assistance program
• Who can apply for FEMA help
• Understanding the application process and loans disaster survivors may be eligible for
• Preparing for FEMA inspections and avoiding contractor scams
• Appealing a FEMA determination letter
• Where to find legal help
"Recovery after a disaster can be overwhelming and long-lasting,"
"Gathering documents, filling out applications, and also dealing with the many issues that are created by a disaster result in frustration, exhaustion, and a lack of time to research what FEMA is and how survivors can obtain assistance. This guide allows survivors to understand the process with a quick glance," said Shrushti Kothari, Lone Star Legal Aid.
"After a disaster, many survivors have an overwhelming amount of information to process in the midst of great loss. This pocket guide provides clear, helpful tips and information that simplifies what is a very complicated process," said Julie Rattray, Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles.
"The complexity of the FEMA application process is a major barrier for survivors of a natural disaster to get the assistance they need," said CUP Executive Director, Christine Gaspar. "We were excited to work with Pro Bono Net to create such a needed tool that uses engaging visuals and clear language to break down a confusing system and create a pathway to action."
Pro Bono Net would like to extend our special thanks to Yasmin Safdié and Clair Beltran at CUP, Shrushti Kothari at Lone Star Legal Aid, Carla Krystyniak from the Equal Justice Works Disaster Recovery Legal Corps and Lone Star Legal Aid, Brittanny Perrigue at Texas RíoGrande Legal Aid, Krista Scully from the Alaska Bar Association, Julie Rattray from Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles, and staff and community members from Red Hook Initiative and Long Island Cares.
For a physical copy or a free digital download of "Figuring Out FEMA," http://welcometocup.org/
• Join us for a webinar, "Figuring Out FEMA: A Trauma-informed Resource for Disaster Survivors" on Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 1:00 pm ET by registering here (https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/
• Check out this interview (https://medium.com/@
Jeane Ortiz Ortiz: firstname.lastname@example.org
212.760.2554 ext. 456