News By Tag
News By Place
Follow on Google News
Olympians Meb Keflezighi, Robin Campbell, and Jon Rankin Selected for NBMA Hall of Fame
The National Black Marathoners Association Honors Runners and Walkers for the 2015 Black Distance Runner Hall of Fame.
- Competed in nine US Olympic trials and in four Olympics.
- Placed in the top two positions in sixteen National US Indoor, Cross Country and NCAA championships.
- Completed over 500 marathons and ultra-marathons.
The recipients will be celebrated at the NBMA Hall of Fame Banquet on Saturday, December 12. The banquet is held in conjunction with the NBMA's 11th Annual Gathering at the Dallas Marathon.
"We are pleased to honor the careers and achievements of this year's Hall of Fame inductees at our annual summit held in Dallas this December," said Tony Reed, executive director of the NBMA. "Dallas Marathon race weekend will deliver a fun and memorable experience for NBMA members, and we were attracted to the host city by Dallas Marathon race organizers' commitment to promoting health and fitness and giving back to their local community."
"We are excited to host the annual gathering of the NBMA at the 2015 Dallas Marathon," said Dallas Marathon Patrick Byerly. "The Dallas Marathon shares a common goal with the NBMA and honorees in this Hall of Fame class: furthering the promotion of fitness. We look forward to delivering on that mission with an entertaining Dallas Marathon race weekend this December."
"Cigna is honored to sponsor the Hall of Fame Banquet, which recognizes an impressive group of dedicated and talented individuals,"
Information about the Hall of Fame banquet will be available at http://www.BlackMarathoners.org on May 1. Here are the honorees and a few of their many accomplishments.
MARATHONERS & ULTRAMARATHONERS
Mebrahtom "Meb" Keflezighi
- Received silver medal in the 2008 Olympic Marathon.
- Won 2009 NYC and 2014 Boston Marathons.
- Won four NCAA championships competing for the UCLA Bruins track and field team.
- Won the USA Cross Country Championships in 2001, 2002 and 2009.
- Won the 1982, 1983, and 1986 Cowtown Marathon in Ft. Worth, TX.
- Was one of 160 runners to qualify for the 1984 US Olympic Trials.
- Ran the 1983 Boston Marathon in 2:17.
- Began running and placing in triathlons in 1986, after turning 40 years old.
- Completed over twenty marathons, including the Boston Marathon four times; 1993, 1994, 2005 and 2006.
- Has been among the top three rated persons in her age group in the Cincinnati running community by Bob Roncker's Running Spot, twice in the last four years.
- Completed over 300 marathons and 111 ultra marathons.
- Coached the East Bay run team for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program (TNT) from 1998 through 2009.
- Launched the first ever TNT Ultra Team, the largest endurance program in the world in 2009.
CROSS COUNTRY, 1500M, & MILERS, HALFATHONERS
- Won USA Indoor Track and Field Championships at 400 meters in 1975 and 1500 meters in 1974.
- Was a US Olympian at 800 meters in 1980 and 1984.
- Competed in every Olympic Trials between 1972 and 1984.
- 2004 All-American honor for UCLA
- Ran personal bests of 800m 1:47.11 in the 800, 3:35.26 in the 1500M, and 3:54.24 in the mile.
- Was an alternate for the 2008 US Olympic 1500M team.
- Ranked third in the world in the 5k (16:28) and ½ marathon (1:15:28) in his age division, in 1996 at 50 years old.
- Finished 3rd in the PAUSTF Track & Field Grand Prix Championship in 1998.
- Served as the Head Coach for Team-in-Training's East Bay Run Team for over 10 years and is also Athletic Director/Coach for Students Run Oakland.
Dr. Roscoe Lee Browne (deceased)
- 1950 and 1951 US Indoor 1,000-Yard Champion
- Launched HAWI Sports Management in 2005. Negotiated over $7 million in endorsement contracts.
- Clients include Leo Manzano, Meb Keflezigh, Peter Gilmore, Jon Rankin, and Jacques Sallberg.
- Earned a BA in Communication Studies from UCLA (http://www.ucla.edu/
- Served as the race director and coordinator for the KwanzaaFest Beat Obesity Walk/Run Events held annually in Dallas, TX since 2007. This is a free event.
- Coached a large number of beginner walkers and runners for national organizations like the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation.
- Is a Certified Fitness Coach and Certified Distance Running Coach.
Avondale Running Club
- Formed by six runners in 1984.
- Organized various 5K races in the Cincinatti area.
- Coordinated aid stations in every Flying Pig Marathon since the inaugural race in 1998.
Nineteen pre-1935 runners and walkers.
Page Updated Last on: Apr 17, 2015