Monterey Bay Area Poet Patrice Vecchione’s New Book of Poems Launches In Time For Poetry Month
Just Announced! Poet Patrice Vecchione launches a new book of poems and events this spring.
• Media Interviews Available
• Books Available for Book Reviews
• High Resolution Photography Available http://www.takigawadesign.com/
Renowned Monterey Bay Area Poet Patrice Vecchione’s New Book of Poems
Launches Just In Time For National Poetry Month
Patrice Embarks on an Intimate and Rousing Series of Readings
Throughout Northern California from March — June 2013
MONTEREY, CA — Patrice Vecchione’s new book of poems, "The Knot Untied," comes out in time for National Poetry Month, the annual celebration of poetry. Patrice writes about what it means to be alive and alert to the world around her. She’s a woman who never left her girlhood jump rope behind, an artist unafraid of glitter, one who'd rather be near than far, an ordinary woman who, through poetry, celebrates the extraordinary in daily life.
Patrice believes poetry — the writing and the reading of it — is life-affirming. It's a way of saying, “Let’s look closely at this small thing or attend to a larger something like losing or finding someone. Poems are a way to notice and celebrate that which we all see but the poet stops long enough to find the poem hidden there. A poem can praise both triumph and defeat because they're both aspects of being alive. Poetry shortens the divide between people—that which makes us seem different from each other. Read a poem and you find we’re really very much alike.”
The poems in “The Knot Untied” aim to shine a light on friendship, the mother-daughter relationship, the aging process, falling in love, the natural world, the small, often unnoticed moments, and how within these experiences there is something ineffable — call it God or spirit or that which can't be explained. These are poems written by a writer seeking to celebrate the world and her place in it.
Join Patrice at various locations throughout Northern California from March through June, 2013, for a series of intimate and rousing readings followed by conversations about the knots poetry can untie that no other form can.
Patrice will discuss the unusual route she took to publish this collection. “The Knot Untied” was published by a community of readers. She developed an Indiegogo campaign that she announced through Facebook, creating a venue for the community to fund her new book. Very quickly, teachers, housewives, musicians, doctors and lawyers came together to make it possible for her new collection of poems “The Knot Untied” to BE published.
Patrice will share her original art from which the book's cover originates.
Poetry Readings and Book Signings
• March 1: Steinbeck Center, One Main St, Salinas, with Kat Meads, 6:30 p.m.
• March 4: Sacramento Poetry Center, 7:30 p.m., 1719 25th St., 25th and R Complex, 1719 25th St. Sacramento, CA, 95816 http://www.sacramentopoetrycenter.com/
• March 7: Pacific Grove Public Library, 7:30 p.m. 550 Central Ave Pacific Grove, CA 93950
• March 24: Bird & Beckett Books, 653 Chenery St, San Francisco, 2:00 p.m., (415) 586-3733, www.birdbeckett.com/
• April 2: Bookshop Santa Cruz, 7:30 p.m. 1520 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, (831) 423-0900 BSC phone, Susan McCloskey (831) 460-3232
• April 6, Tor House, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Carmel (831) 624-1813
• April 7: The Works, 3 p.m., 667 Lighthouse, Pacific Grove
• April 9: CSU-Monterey Bay, OLLI@CSUMB, noon (olli.csumb.edu/)
• April 10: Sweet Elena’s, Launch Party, 465 Olympia Ave., San City, CA 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Celebrate the book launch, National Poetry Month, enjoy readings from Patrice and small bites!
• April 11: Watsonville Public Library, Main Library 275 Main St., Suite 100 Watsonville, CA 95076, (831) 768-3400, 6 p.m.
• April 13: Book Passage, 7 p.m., 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA 94925
• April 19: Tor House, 26304 Ocean View, Carmel, (831) 624-1813, 7:30 p.m.
• April 20: Monterey Public Library, poetry workshop and reading, 2 p.m.
• May 2: Natsoulus Gallery, 521 First St. Davis, CA 95616, 530-756-3938, 7:30 p.m.
• May 5: Steynberg Gallery, 1531 Monterey St., San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (805) 547-0278,
• San Luis Obispo, 3 p.m. www.steynberggallery.com
• May 7: Gabriella Cafe Salon, dinner with Patrice, followed by a reading, 910 Cedar St,
• Santa Cruz, (831) 457-1677, 7 p.m.
• June 11: Barkin' Dog Grill, 940 11th St., Modesto, CA 95354, (209) 572-2341, 7:30 p.m.
Background on Patrice Vecchione:
Patrice Vecchione is the author of “Writing and the Spiritual Life: Finding Your Voice by Looking Within,” from McGraw-Hill (“Trust the voice of Patrice Vecchione,” The Writer Magazine) and an earlier collection of poems, “Territory of Wind” from Many Hands Press. She's the editor of many anthologies, including: “Truth and Lies,” “The Body Eclectic” and “Revenge and Forgiveness,”
For 35 years, she’s taught poetry to young people through her program, The Heart of the Word: Poetry and Imagination. A collage artist, her work appears on book covers. She teaches both collage and creative writing workshops at community centers, universities, libraries and at Esalen Institute in Big Sur, Calif.
Patrice makes her home in Monterey, Calif., with her best beloveds: her husband, Michael, two cats and a garden, often in bloom. Whenever possible, she wanders the trails at Jacks Peak Park.