News By Tag
News By Location
Could Something in Your House Dust be Triggering Allergies or Worse?
The indoor environmental quality (IEQ) professionals at Clark Seif Clark provide dust allergen and mold testing services.
Franco Seif, President of Clark Seif Clark (CSC), an indoor air quality (IAQ) and environmental consulting firm shared his thoughts about indoor allergens and dust. He reported, “House dust can contain a number of different allergens. These aeroallergens can even interact with other harmful air pollution to worsen various respiratory diseases in some people. In addition to allergens, house dust in some circumstances may also include lead, primarily from deteriorating lead-based paints in older homes, and even asbestos fibers in some older properties.”
Mr. Seif listed the following common indoor allergens found in house dusts:
• Dust mites are tiny bugs that feed on human skin flakes and are found in mattresses, pillows, carpets, upholstered furniture, and fabric and fabric-covered items. They are one of the most common causes of allergies from house dust.
• Cockroaches and their droppings can trigger allergies and even asthma attacks.
• Pollen is an allergen that can aggravate allergic rhinitis and several respiratory diseases, including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
• Pet dander allergens are common and both furry pets and pets with feathers can cause an allergic reaction in some people.
• Fungi, commonly called mold, produce tiny spores that can be found in both indoor and outdoor air. It can cause allergies, trigger asthma attacks, and in some cases lead to infections in susceptible individuals.
• Even people wearing latex gloves during dust cleaning activities could be exposing themselves to latex allergens.
CSC recently sponsored an educational video about house dust allergens and IAQ that can be seen at:
To learn more about testing for indoor allergens, mold or other indoor air quality issues, please visit Clark Seif Clark at http://www.csceng.com, email email@example.com or call (800) 807-1118.
About Clark Seif Clark
CSC was established in 1989 to help clients in both public and private sectors address environmental, IAQ, and health and safety (EH&S) issues. CSC is a leading provider of these services with multiple offices along the western seaboard and southwest. The company believes in science-based protocols and has a strong background in engineering, making them the preferred environmental consultants to healthcare facilities, architects, schools, builders, contractors, developers and real estate professionals.