News By Tag
* Personal Relations
* More Industries...
News By Location
Take a Lesson From Our Cycling Heroes and Get On Your Bike!
Following the success of our cyclists at the 2012 Olympics, find out why you should join them and get on your bike!
Cycling’s fan base soared, with Halfords recording a 14.7 per cent rise in cycling sales in its second quarter. While you may not be the next Pendleton or Wiggins, cycling has endless health and fitness benefits, so here are five good reasons you should consider following in the footsteps of your cycling heroes:
1. A study done by the British Medical Association on 10,000 people showed that riding a bicycle for at least 20 miles per week lessens your risk of contracting coronary heart disease by almost 50 per cent.
2. Cycling gives tremendous results for improving your cardiovascular fitness. This is because cycling makes the heart pound steadily, increasing your heart’s fitness by three to seven per cent.
3. It can help shed those extra pounds. Depending on the speed of your rides and the terrain you're covering, mountain biking can burn between 10 and 16 calories a minute, or 600 to 1,000 calories per hour from more challenging forms such as off-road. Visit 1 South West’s mountain biking UK (http://www.1sw.org.uk/
4. Biking just two to three hours a week can improve your lung capacity by up to 20 per cent, making hiking up stairs or running for the bus in everyday life more of a breeze. If possible, consider cycling to work or school and you will complete two to three hours in no time each week.
5. Biking gives you the same hard-core aerobic exercise as a run, but without all those shocks to the ankles, knees and hips. For the same reason, it's a good sport for those returning from injury and can help to improve tendon strength without any load-bearing.
The South West is one of the most popular destinations for cycling holidays in the UK (http://www.1sw.org.uk/