E-Z Movers Shares Helpful (and Often Overlooked) Moving Tips
Moving can be an extremely stressful experience, and it's easy to forget the little things—or sometimes even the big things.
Keeping track of your belongings
It's important for movers to make sure that everything they're taking from the old place arrives safely at the new home. Professional movers in Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago, and other areas recommend making a list of your possessions and checking things off when the movers have finished unloading.
Before creating your inventory, take the time to go through the house and get rid of anything you aren't bringing along. A good rule of thumb is that if you haven't used something in six months or more (except for seasonal items), you probably don't need it. This will save you time and money on your move.
Making it official
Another area many movers neglect is the various transfers involved in relocation. Shortly before you move, you should:
● Fill out a change of address form at the post office
● File your change of address with the IRS
● Transfer your children's school records to the new school
● Get copies of family medical and dental records, if you're changing healthcare providers
You'll also have to make arrangements to have your gas, electric, phone, and other utilities turned off at your current location and turned on in your new home. Most utility companies will allow some overlap of service during the transition.
Tips for moving day
● Pack a box with everything you'll need for the first few days in your new home, and label it “Do Not Move” so it doesn't end up on the truck.
● Plan breakfast ahead of time and use disposable dishes—or, better yet, eat on the road.
● Don't forget your curtains and curtain rods.
● Do a final walk-through of the whole house, and check all cabinets and closets for forgotten items.
With more than 15 years of experience, E-Z Movers offers more helpful tips and advice on planning and executing a smooth, hassle-free relocation for you and your family. Movers can visit their website or contact E-Z Movers for further information.
About E-Z Movers
E-Z Movers, Inc., founded in 1997, is a professional full-service moving company based in Chicago, Illinois. In addition to providing exceptional service, the company is heavily involved with the community, and helps to support the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Learn more at http://www.e-