New Research Reveals There is More to Agile Than Development
• Global Survey Issued by Serena Software Shows Agile Projects Working Well Enough, But Could Be Better • Survey Reveals Communication is Today’s Biggest Agile Challenge; Continuous Delivery is a Hot, Trending Agile Topic
The Serena survey was conducted at the recent Agile 2012 Conference where enterprise IT professionals from around the globe joined to discuss current and best agile development practices. Respondents were polled from a variety of industries. The sampling of participants polled included general attendees and speakers.
The three key themes that came out of the survey include:
• Agile is doing well enough, but could be better: The survey shows that agile development practices are still not widely embraced; 49 percent says their company is doing some agile deployment work. However, of those that have deployed, 52 percent reported they are happy with their current agile projects. The survey also shows that 55 percent of respondents are investigating or already doing some form of continuous delivery work, a hot agile topic today.
• Communication is today’s biggest agile challenge: According to the research, more than 50 percent of respondents indicated that understanding and also prioritising customer demand needed the most improvement for agile to be successful. Both managers and developers agreed that four of the top five agile roadblocks involved working with other teams and customers.
• Stakeholders need to be more involved with new release projects: While agile development teams are having success, survey respondents feel that upstream and downstream stakeholders are left out the communication loop with sprints. Even though they are the first in line to respond, IT Operations and Support are involved with less than 40 percent of release plans.
To view the “There’s More to Agile than Development”
Serena orchestrates IT for enterprise organisations across the end-to-end application delivery lifecycle. IT organisations can coordinate disparate processes, multiple tools and globally distributed teams from initial business request, all the way to final production release. Serena helps IT engage more rapidly and accurately with the business, accelerate globally distributed water-scrum-
“Our agile development survey offers fascinating insight into the areas of agile IT that are doing well, while revealing where work is needed,” said Miguel Tam, senior product marketing manager for Serena Software. “In addition to learning about issues pertaining to agile development, such as lack of good communication, for example, we also learned that agile IT is on the rise and of those who have deployed agile projects they are quite satisfied. It’s clear that agile IT should focus on understanding and prioritising customer demand.”
• Serena Software - http://www.serena.com
• Serena Blog - http://www.serena.com/
• Serena Twitter - https://twitter.com/
• Serena Orchestrated IT - http://www.serena.com/
Tweet this: @Serena_Software #research reveals there’s more to #Agile than development http://ser.so/
About Serena Software
Serena Software provides Orchestrated IT solutions to the Global 2000. Serena's core purpose is to advance the business value of IT. Our 4,000 active enterprise customers, encompassing one million users worldwide, have made Serena the largest independent ALM vendor and the only one that orchestrates DevOps, the processes that bring together application development and operations.
Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Serena serves enterprise customers from 29 offices in 14 countries. Serena is a portfolio company of Silver Lake Partners, the leader in private investments in technology-enabled industries.
Tanya Espe (for U.S. inquiries)
Kulesa Faul for Serena Software
Mark Kember (for UK inquiries)
Goode Communications for Serena Software
+44 (0) 1491 873323