News By Tag
News By Place
BORDERPOL Launch Preliminary Conference Programme
BORDERPOL, the World Border Organisation, has launched the preliminary programme of its 1st annual conference being held in London, UK from 16th to 17th October and includes many leading international organisations and senior border agency speakers.
Tactics and Tools for Effective Border Management
Controlling and managing international borders in the 21st Century continues to challenge the border control and immigration agencies around the world. It is generally agreed that in a globalised world that borders are as open as possible, yet threats continue to remain in ever evolving circumstances and situations.
The BORDERPOL Conference will focus considerable attention on border management in a world that is experiencing a global financial crisis and its impact on the movement of persons and goods.
The programme delivers many leading experts and senior border agency personnel presenting some of the challenges and border protection issues, including changing immigration policies and inter-agency cooperation, as well as issues such as the Schengen area and the effects migration from the East is having on the West.
The conference will hear first hand at some of these challenges from over many active senior border agency representatives speaking, including:
- Police Chief Quaestor Ioan Buda, General Inspector, Border Police of Romania
- Police General Nenad Banovic, Head of Border Police Directorate, Serbia
- Tony Smith, Executive Board Member & Senior Responsible Owner, London 2012 Olympic Programme, UK Border Force, UK
- Major Grzegorz Niemiec, Deputy Director of the Commanding Centre, Polish Border Guards
- Col.dr. Gizella Vas, Head of Border Policing Dept, National Police of Hungary
- Manuel Jarmela Palos, National Director, SEF (Immigration & Borders Service), Portugal
- Colonel Antti Hartikainen, Director General of National Board of Customs, Finland
Opening Keynote Address by Damian Green MP, Immigration Minister and Jason T. Kenney, PC, MP is Canada’s Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism
The inaugural BORDERPOL Conference will be opened by Damian Green MP, Minister of State for Immigration, who will be delivering a keynote address on Tuesday 16th October. Mr Green will be followed by a keynote speech by Jason T. Kenney, PC, MP is Canada’s Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism and Major-General Zaza Gogava, Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, Georgia.
Conference Topics include:
- Global Challenge on Policies of Refugee & Migration Movement
- Panel Discussion - Shengen Area - how effectively is it working?
- Future technological solutions for promoting safe and secure borders on the frontline and in cyberspace
- A strategic approach towards reducing public expenditure in border management and how intelligence-
- Challenges of Border Management and Illegal Immigration in Asia and Downstream Effects in the West
- Information Sharing and Border Agency Cooperation
- Europe’s Frontiers - problems, challenges, solutions
A full conference programme can be viewed at www.borderpol-
Executive Director of BORDERPOL, Thomas Tass said “BORDERPOL is the only international organization specifically created in 2003 to provide the world’s border management policy makers and practitioners with ongoing opportunities to meet, debate and most importantly generate innovative policies and operational solutions to demonstrably improve trade and traveller processing. BORDERPOL is a unique institution that bridges the communication and consultation gaps that exist between legacy intergovernmental organizations associated with global trade, travel and security. The 2012 BORDERPOL Conference in London will be recalled as watershed event that set the tone for 21st century border security and migration management professionals.”
For further information visit: www.borderpol-