News By Tag
* More Industries...
News By Location
Helpful Financial Tips for Couples Considering Divorce
Couples join in marriage to share their lives and finances with one another. Unfortunately, financial discord is a leading cause of divorce in the United States and concerns much more than just lack of income.
Many people considering a divorce find that they cannot afford to be separated. Anyone can have difficulty paying bills, covering the mortgage, keeping their jobs and running a household. In today’s trying times, spouses who want to divorce are realizing that to survive financially, they may have to stay together.
A few suggestions for couples considering a divorce:
• Acquire a current market value of your home from a realtor, and discuss other housing options with your realtor.
• Limit your use of credit; close credit cards and home-equity lines that you don't need. Try not to increase your debt any further.
• Consider putting off a home sale until your divorce is completed.
• Consider counseling to overcome your marital issues; if that's not possible, think about using a mediator to resolve your divorce issues. Many divorce attorneys are also licensed mediators.
• Copy your financial documents and gather all your financial information
• Order a copy of your credit report early– from all three reporting agencies to have this as a base line to know where you stand at the end of your marriage. This way you’d be able to see whether any new unauthorized debt is being added in your name.
• Make sure your tax returns are prepared in a way that you will be comfortable with for years to come. If you are preparing to divorce but have not yet started and it’s anytime around tax season, this is an area of great potential hazard and you should proceed with caution.
• Consult your accountant and have him or her advise you about the possible tax savings that married jointly filing couples enjoy, and also on the potential future liability you could face should the returns be found deficient
Talk to an Alpharetta Divorce Attorney (http://www.helawdivorce.com) Today
We understand what you're facing. Contact us to speak with an experienced divorce attorney in your area to discuss your concerns about whether you can divorce, and regarding all of your options.
# # #
The divorce and family law attorneys at Hait and Eichelzer work closely with you to get a firm understanding of the facts and objectives of your circumstance. We will help you to understand your rights and responsibilities and define realistic goals.