All-Spec Industries Installs New Lighting to Reduce Energy Consumption by 68%

All-Spec Industries, a distributor of products for electronics repair, service and testing, has recently installed new lights in its warehouse in an attempt to utilize lighting energy more efficiently.
 
 
Spread the Word
Listed Under

Industrys:
Electronics
Industrial

Location:
Wilmington - North Carolina - US

July 20, 2010 - PRLog -- For several years, All-Spec Industries has been looking for new and different ways to go “green.” As of 2008, All-Spec had already adopted a few key company-wide recycling processes. All lights are always turned off when not in use, especially in the bathrooms and kitchen. A central location is dedicated for the recycling of plastic, aluminum, and newspaper. These items are then picked up weekly by a local recycling company. More and more processes have been turned paperless by utilizing electronic communication. The paper that is used is shredded daily by All-Spec employees and then recycled.

New energy-efficient lighting in the warehouse is the most recent attempt to be environmentally friendly. To begin the process, seventy-five (75) 8-foot fluorescent strips were removed. These lights were T12 magnetic ballast fixtures, which were only in use when the power was out in the warehouse. This is an older and very inefficient technology.

In addition, sixty-two (62) metal halide lamps were taken down. Although this is a fairly typical lighting fixture, only 35% of the energy consumed is turned into light. The remaining 65% is transformed into heat and vibration. The lamp level in these lights can also burn up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

To reduce electrical consumption, the metal halide lighting was replaced by a one-to-one ratio with T8 electronic ballast fixtures from Orion Energy Systems. This will save All-Spec over 46,000 kilowatts per year and provide a 68% reduction in electrical consumption. There will also be 30% more light in areas with the new installations.

The burning of fossil fuels to create electricity for lighting systems also produces an abundant amount of air pollutants. However, the new lighting project at All-Spec will have a substantial impact in decreasing air pollution each year by 74,519 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2), 124,519 grams of sulfur dioxide (SO2), and 288,140 grams of (NOx). This is comparable to planting 9 acres of trees, removing 7 cars from the road each year, or saving 4,516 gallons of gasoline annually.

Established in 1988, All-Spec Industries carries ESD-safe materials, electronic manufacturing tools, soldering stations and irons, as well as telecom, field service and test & measurement equipment.  All-Spec Industries normally ships 97% of all in-house stock orders received each day. In some cases, the product will ship directly from the manufacturer or an off-site warehouse.

# # #

All-Spec Industries sells products for electronic production, service, repair and testing. All-Spec normally ships 97% of all in-house orders received each day. In some instances, the order will ship from the manufactuer or an off-site warehouse.
End
Source:
Email:***@all-spec.com Email Verified
Phone:(800) 537-0351
Zip:28401
Industry:Electronics, Industrial
Location:Wilmington - North Carolina - United States
Account Email Address Verified     Disclaimer     Report Abuse
All-Spec Industries PRs
Trending News
Most Viewed
Top Daily News



Like PRLog?
9K2K1K
Click to Share