Follow on Google News
News By Tag
* What Is The Cockpit Drill
* Cockpit Drill
* Learning To Drive
* First Driving Lesson
* Driving Lessons
* Driving Schools
* More Tags...
News By Place
Follow on Google News
What is the Cockpit Drill?
One of the first things you will be taught when learning to drive, is the cockpit drill. This is where you are to make sure everything is correct in the car and that it will be comfortable to drive.
By: Darren Hirst
1) The first thing they will start with is the doors. They will show you how to make sure the doors are closed properly and how to check them.
2) They will then go onto the seat and make sure the ‘slider’, which is the bottom of the seat and is used to adjust the position of the seat, is set for you. During your first few driving tests, the driving instructor will explain how to set the seat in the right position and the also let you know why they do this.
3) They will make sure there are no obstructions around the steering wheel, so you can use freely. If anything needs to be done with the steering adjustment they will show you how you do that as well.
4) They will move on to the mirrors and will tell you how to adjust them. Starting with the centre one, they will tell you what you need to see out of the centre mirror. They will also explain why the glass is flat glasses. They will move onto the left hand side door mirror and explain how to adjust this, explain why it is needed, and why the glass is convex glass which is bent out for a wider field of view. They will repeat this for the right hand side door mirror.
5) The last part of the cockpit drill is to ensure you have put the seatbelt on safely and able to release it.
6) The instructor will then explain that it is your responsibility to make sure these things are done every time you enter a car.
When you are to take your practical test, you need to remember that the driving instructor will be checking that you have completed all of the above before your test is commenced. Missing out on any of the above can hinder your performance whilst taking the test and driving in general.
The examiner on your driving test will be expecting you to:-
• Make sure all the doors are closed.
• Ensure your seat and head restraint is properly adjusted.
• Check your mirrors are properly adjusted.
• Fasten your seatbelt Make sure the hand brake is on and the gearstick is in
neutral before starting the engine.
# # #
Just Driving prides itself on providing expert driving tuition at affordable prices.
Just Driving schools offer a comprehensive range of one-to-one lessons from beginner right through to advanced driver training.