Follow on Google News
News By Tag
News By Place
Follow on Google News
SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City Sparks Discussion on Thanksgiving Fires
Tips to prevent holiday from turning into an emergency with a few precautions
By: Jennifer L. Harvey
An unfortunate danger of home cooking, residential fires grow in prevalence during the holiday season. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), Thanksgiving is the top day for home cooking fires, with more than three times the daily average of fires reportedly occurring on the holiday.
"Thanksgiving is a day filled with food and family, but it is also a day that presents many hazards to your home," said Jennifer Harvey, owner of SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City. "With multiple tasks taking place in the kitchen at once, it is all too easy for cooks to get distracted and for accidents to take place."
Harvey says that by adhering to the following tips, provided by the NFPA, Hudson County-area residents can lessen their chances of a fire ruining their Thanksgiving feast:
• Be present – Fires often start when items cooking are left unattended, so always stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, baking or broiling food. If you must leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the oven or stove.
• Dress accordingly – Avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking. Loose clothing can easily catch fire if it comes in contact with a gas flame or electric burner.
• Keep kids out – Enforce a "kid free zone" of three feet around the perimeter of the stove. If kids are present in the kitchen, use the stove's back burners whenever possible and turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk that pots with hot contents will be knocked over.
• Clean, clean, clean – Be sure your stove top and oven are free of grease, which can easily catch fire. Additionally, keep all combustible cooking accessories, such as pot holders, oven mitts and wooden utensils, away from the stove top.
"We recognize people have a lot on their minds when they're entertaining during the holidays, but kitchen safety really should be an utmost priority," added Harvey. "Fires only take a matter of seconds to erupt. The best defense against them is to prevent them from ever happening."
Harvey notes that if a fire should ignite in the oven, residents should turn off the oven, unplug the appliance and remove any dish towels that may be hanging on the front of the oven door. A fire extinguisher should always be at hand to quickly extinguish any fires that may occur on the top of the stove. Of course, in the event of an emergency, Harvey says that residents should never hesitate to call 911.
In the event of damage caused by a residential fire, SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City offers an assortment of services to help local residents quickly recover and restore any damaged property. Within four hours of the initial notification, a SERVPRO Professional will be on-site to start the mitigation process.
For more information about SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City, please contact (201) 656-0035.
# # #
SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City is a leading provider of fire, water, mold and other specialty cleanup and restoration services.
Page Updated Last on: Nov 05, 2009