Now That You Have Your Social Security Number, Don’t Miss Out On Your Tax Refund With EITC!

If you recently changed your immigration status from illegal to a legal and you have been paying income taxes in the past you might be entitled to a TAX REFUND!
By: Alex Meyerovich - M.C. Law Group, LLP
Sept. 5, 2009 - PRLog -- EITC is Earned Income Tax Credit. It is a refundable federal income tax credit for low- to moderate-income working individuals and families. With EITC, you can pay fewer taxes and sometimes even get a refund from the government. Working individuals and families like you will be able to spend less money paying for taxes and will be able to keep more of the money that you earn.

What is even more exciting is that you can get refunds for past years when you did not even apply for the EITC. For example, if you have been working and paying taxes in the United States for 3 years, but only got your Social Security Number (SSN) this year, you can now apply for the EITC. Not only can you get a tax credit or refund for this year, but you can also get the credit or refund that you would have gotten for the past 3 years.

In order to be eligible for the EITC, you need to meet certain qualifications. You have to have a valid SSN. You have to have been a U.S. citizen or a resident alien the whole year (or if you live abroad, but are married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you have to file a joint return). You must have earned income from employment or from self-employment. Your filing status cannot be “married, filing separately”. You cannot be a qualifying child of another person. If you do not have a qualifying child and do not qualify as a dependent of another person, you have to be older than 25, but younger than 65 at the end of the year, and you have to live in the U.S. for more than half the year. Other restrictions may apply.
If you do meet all the qualifications for the EITC, you have to file a claim to get your tax credit or refund for previous years. You have to file the claim within 3 years from when the tax return was originally filed or within 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever is later.

Alex Meyerovich - M.C. Law Group, LLP is an immigration lawyer in Bridgeport, Connecticut.  Elina Stelman co-authored this press release.

To learn more, visit

The information presented is a general information only and should not be construed to be a formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.  Contact an experienced licensed attorney to discuss circumstances of your case.

# # #

About M.C. Law Group: Full service immigration law firm handling cases in all areas of immigration law. Our attorneys also provide representation in the areas of family, criminal & business/tax law with particular attention to the consequences on our clients' immigration status. For more information please visit us at
Email:*** Email Verified
Tags:Earned Income Credit, Eitc, Tax Refund, Social Security Number, Amended Tax Return, Immigration Status
Industry:Accounting, Legal, Business
Location:Bridgeport - Connecticut - United States
Account Email Address Verified     Disclaimer     Report Abuse
Page Updated Last on: Jul 22, 2010

Like PRLog?
Click to Share