Caravanwise Reveals Top Ten Base Vehicles for Self-Conversion Campervans Based on Half a Decade's Insurance Quotes
This in-depth review comes in response to recurring questions within self-build campervan communities, where newbies frequently enquire about the most suitable vehicles for conversion. Caravanwise presents these findings based on the real data gathered from insurance quotes since 2018.
The top ten base vehicles for self-build campervan conversions are:
1. Volkswagen (predominantly T4, T5, and Crafter models)
2. Ford (with a significant focus on the "Transit")
3. Mercedes (largely Sprinter models)
4. Renault (Master and Trafic models)
5. Peugeot (Boxer, with a minority comprising the Expert model)
6. Citroen (mostly Relay, with a few Dispatch models)
7. Vauxhall (Vivaro and Movano models)
8. Fiat (primarily Ducato models)
9. IVECO (largely the Daily model)
10. LDV (Convoy and Maxus models)
Additional models that have gained popularity include Japanese import MPVs. Notably, the Mazda Bongo leads in this segment, with Nissan Elgrand and NV200, as well as Toyota Alphard, also enjoying popularity. All are still a minority though with less than 2% each.
Of interest, Volkswagen, Ford, and Mercedes account for over half of all self-converted campervan insurance quotes by Caravanwise, with Volkswagen and Ford nearly neck-and-neck, thanks to the desirability of VW campervans and perhaps the availability of the Ford Transit vans for conversion.
As it approaches its 25th anniversary, Caravanwise continues to specialise in caravan insurance, motorhome insurance, and has a strong market presence in self-build converted campervan insurance. For more information, visit https://www.caravanwise.co.uk/