United Way of Greater Atlanta & IRS 15th Anniversary EITC Awareness Day January 29

A Nationwide Effort to Increase Awareness of The Earned Income Tax Credit
By: United Way of Greater Atlanta
1 2
United Way Eitc Day Flyer
United Way Eitc Day Flyer
ATLANTA - Jan. 28, 2021 - PRLog -- The IRS and United Way invite community organizations, elected officials, state and local governments, schools, employers, and others in a national grassroots effort to spotlight the Earned Income Tax Credit on EITC Awareness Day. This year marks the 15th anniversary of EITC Awareness Day – scheduled for Friday, January 29, 11 a.m. to noon – and the public is invited to join in on this day virtually.  Please visit the website at https://www.unitedwayatlanta.org/event/jan-2021-eitc-day to register.

United Way of Greater Atlanta EITC Speakers are:
  • Milton J. Little, Jr., United Way of Greater Atlanta, President and CEO; Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, City of Atlanta;  Kenneth C. Corbin, IRS, Commissioner Wage & Investment Division; Tameka Lester, Philip C. Cook Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic Associate Director; Congresswoman Nikema Williams, fifth district; Santiago Marquez, Latin American Association, CEO; Economy Jackson, United Way of Greater Atlanta, Director Asset Building Income and VITA Site Partners, Michael Devault, Osborne High School; Phil Kleiber, North Fulton Community Charities; Detria Russel, MLK Sr Community Resource Collaborative/ Ebenezer, and Past VITA recipient Tanisha Corporal
The IRS estimates four of five, or 80%, of eligible taxpayers claim and get this important credit. This leaves billions of dollars on the table each year. The goal is for the remaining 20% to receive the EITC they earned. EITC is a financial boost for working people and our local economy and can increase a federal tax refund from $1 to $6,600 for qualified tax payers. It is money workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills.

In 2020, 22 million workers received about $57 billion in EITC refunds.

New this tax season, under the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020, taxpayers may elect to use their 2019 earned income to figure the credit if their 2019 earned income is more than their 2020 earned income. The same is true for the Additional Child Tax Credit. For details, see the instructions for Form 1040.

We encourage taxpayers to use the recently redesigned EITC Assistant. The EITC Assistant, available in English and Spanish, is an interactive tool on IRS.gov that allows users to verify that they qualify for the earned income tax credit by answering a series of questions and providing basic income information.

Eligible taxpayers can find assistance to claim these credits at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites. Taxpayers can find the nearest VITA/TCE site by using the Locator Tool at IRS.gov, using the IRS2Go app or calling the IRS at 800-906-9887. Those seeking help at the nearest AARP location should use the AARP Locator.

Email:***@larchecommunications.com Email Verified
Tags:United Way of Greater Atlanta, Irs, Vita, EITC Awareness Day, Earned Income Tax Credit, Atlanta Georgia, Fulton County, Cobb County, Dekalb County, Henry County
Location:Atlanta - Georgia - United States
Account Email Address Verified     Account Phone Number Verified     Disclaimer     Report Abuse
Page Updated Last on: Jan 28, 2021

Like PRLog?
Click to Share