Which country has the best olive oil?
True olive oil lovers want to buy the best so, how does one go about deciding which country produces the best?
By: Nanako Goods
The objective conclusions of the detailed analysis are:
· The largest producer worldwide by far is Spain with close to half the total world production annually.
· Spain, Italy and Greece together produce approx. 2/3 of the total world production.
· Awards say more about the quality of individual olive estates, mills and producers than they do about a specific country.
· Three countries have received well over 90% of international awards over the past 10 years: Spain, Italy and Portugal.
· There are some very good and also some poor quality olive oil producers in every country.
· A very large volume of trade in bulk olive oil takes place between countries. The data shows that some countries such as Italy are exporting far more than they produce, the difference being made up with imported olive oil begging the question which country should be considered as the "producer" of this olive oil: the source country or the bottler?
· There are differences in the physical properties and characteristics. Some olive oil varieties do have better properties however this is due to the specific olive oil variety. The health and medical benefits of EVOO are exceptional overall.
· Regarding colour, aroma and flavour there is a huge variation even within the major producing countries themselves due to differences in natural factors (e.g. geography, climate, sunlight, soil, temperature…)
So, which country produces the world´s best olive oil? Trying to determine the best olive oil producing country is like trying to find the best wine producing country. It is not a simple question to answer nor is there one answer – that is if we are truly objective and not driven by commercial, marketing, patriotic or other reasons (of which there are many examples).
NANAKO is a wholesale supplier of selected, world class and award-winning products. Our range includes products such as Pure Natural Raw Honey, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), High Altitude Mediterranean Wine and Natural Organic Skincare & Cosmetics. All of our products have full European Union quality guarantees, certification and traceability. They have won numerous international awards. Visit www.nanakogoods.com
J. Martin, Nanako Goods