Probiotics Shown to Dramatically Improve IBS Gut Symptoms and Anxiety in the Largest-Ever Trial
By: Probiotics International Ltd. (Bio-Kult)
In the largest-ever, double-blind randomized controlled trial (the gold standard for medical research) of probiotic supplements in IBS-diarrhea type patients ever conducted, dramatic improvements in symptoms were reported.
• In the study of 360 patients who had IBS with diarrhea as their predominant symptom (IBS-D), those patients who took the probiotic supplement Bio-Kult® reported a 69 percent decrease in abdominal pain, compared to 47 percent in a group who took a placebo.
• The four-month study conducted by the University of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University in Dhaka, Bangladesh also found that the number of patients who rated their symptoms as moderate to severe at the beginning of the study was reduced by 86 percent in the Bio-Kult® group, compared to 52 percent in those who took a placebo.
• A total of 33.7 percent in the Bio-Kult® group reported that all their symptoms had disappeared at the end of the 16 weeks compared to just 12.8 percent in the placebo group.
In addition to relieving IBS-D symptoms, Bio-Kult® (https://www.bio-
Leading experts say the findings are a significant breakthrough in understanding the role bacteria play not only in physical gut symptoms but also psychological symptoms of IBS.
Dr. Philip Burnet, Associate Professor at Oxford University, a leading UK expert on the gut microbiome/ brain axis, says that although several symptoms within the IBS-QoL survey in the study were significantly improved after taking probiotic supplements, the reduction in dysphoria (unease or generalized dissatisfaction)
"The influence of gut bacteria on the brain is a topical area of research in neuroscience, and the microbiome-gut-
"There is a strong link between depression and IBS," says Burnet, "and some researchers have suggested that mood disorders themselves may arise from a microbial imbalance within the body."
Burnet cites another recent study by the University of Corki demonstrated that a single-strain probiotic, B.Longum, reduced depression scores in 22 IBS patients. "The Bio-Kult® formulation not only contains B.Longum, but also several other probiotic strains that have been reported to have psychotropic effects in both mouse models of anxiety and depressed mood, and in preliminary human studies," says Burnet.
Study leader Professor Shamsuddin Ishaque said: "Over a period of 16 weeks Bio-Kult® produced statistically significant improvements in all key symptoms of IBD- D compared to placebo, including the severity and frequency of abdominal pain. The magnitude of these changes with Bio-Kult® was also very impressive."
"IBS is a significant problem that decreases quality of life and places an enormous economic burden on healthcare systems globally. A safe and convenient IBS treatment that is capable of reducing pain by nearly 70%, not to mention completely resolving symptoms in more than a third of patients, demonstrates a profound benefit and holds great promise for this major medical concern," says Dr. Ashton Harper, Head of Medical Affairs at Protexin Healthcare, makers of Bio-Kult.
• Bio-Kult® contains 14 strains of probiotics including: Bacillus subtilis PXN 21, Bifidobacterium spp. (B. bifidum PXN 23, B. breve PXN 25, B. infantis PXN 27,B. longum PXN 30), Lactobacillus spp.(L. acidophilus PXN 35, L. delbrueckii spp. Bulgaricus PXN39, L. casei PXN 37, L. plantarum PXN 47, L. rhamnosus PXN 54, L.helveticus PXN 45,L. salivarius PXN 57) Lactococcuslactis PXN 63, Streptococcus thermophilus PXN 66].
• Bio-Kult® retails from $25.50 and is available in The Vitamin Shoppe, Akin's, Chamberlin's, Tunies, Cambridge Naturals as well as health food stores and online at Amazon.com and Bio-Kult.com
• For more information on Bio-Kult® please contact Alexa Wood at 786.310.7233 or email contact@bio-
About Probiotics International Ltd. (Protexin Healthcare)
Protexin Healthcare produces award-winning innovative, research-based probiotic products of the highest quality for the healthcare market. The leading, well-established and respected company has over 25 years' experience manufacturing natural supplements, which are extensively researched for safety and efficacy. Also, Protexin works closely with leading universities and research centers around the world on a range of on-going research programs. Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/
Every Protexin product is manufactured in their state-of-the-
Page Updated Last on: Jul 08, 2018