News By Tag
News By Place
The Importance of Maintaining a Good pH Balance in the Mouth
Maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and gums. Healthy teeth not only enable you to look and feel good, they make it possible to eat and speak properly.
By: Eyes On America
What is Alkalinity?s
Alkalinity is one of the primary things measured in water chemistry. Alkalinity is a measurement of dissolved alkaline substances in water. This capacity is commonly known as "buffering capacity." The pH of the buffered solution would change when the buffering capacity of the solution is overloaded. Alkalinity refers to the capability of water to neutralize acid. This is really an expression of buffering capacity. A buffer is a solution to which an acid can be added without changing the concentration of available H+ ions (without changing the pH) appreciably. It essentially absorbs the excess H+ ions and protects the water body from fluctuations in pH. In most natural water bodies in Pennsylvania, the buffering system is carbonate-bicarbonate.
Ways to Increase Alkalinity and Balance Your pH Level
When your body is in an alkaline state, it becomes more resistant to disease, inhibiting the growth of pathogenic organisms like bad bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi and even cancer. The oxygen levels are raised in the tissues, blood and organs, allowing them to function more efficiently and effectively. Reducing acidity and maintaining an alkaline state also helps to encourage healthy cell turnover, energy production and regular toxin excretion. While there are many factors that impact the pH levels in the body, the easiest way to influence the acid-alkaline balance is through your diet. By eating alkaline-forming foods and minimizing the consumption of acid-forming ones, your body can more easily maintain an alkaline state. Alkaline-forming foods are plant-based, and are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are typically easier to digest than acid-forming ones, improving immune function in the gut and helping to lower inflammation and mucus production.
An alkaline diet promotes healthier sleep, gives cleaner burning energy to your body, and is fairly easy to follow.
• Choose only organic, non-GMO foods. You'll avoid pesticides, chemicals, and other contaminants that are acid producing.
• Eat alkaline forming foods. Most fruits and veggies are. Avocados, strawberries, and almonds are my favorite, but every leafy green vegetable and every herb is on the list as well.
• Eat less refined sugars, flours, and meats, including fowl. You should eat roughly 40-50 grams of protein a day. These acid-forming foods all contribute to an unhealthy pH balance.
• Prepare meals intelligently. Combine alkaline foods with acidic foods in a meal together to create better balance and ensure neither throws the balance off.
• Drink 1-2 glasses of apple cider vinegar and water daily
• Unless you're opting for a minimal amount of sprouted grains, get rid of tortillas, sourdough, white bread, whole grains and brown rice. On the acid-alkaline scale, most grains fall into the acidic range.
• Your wine and cheese habit isn't doing your pH any favors, so minimize these foods.
• Soy, navy and lima beans are all highly alkaline, while caraway, cumin, fennel and sesame seeds are good for raising pH, too.