Protect Yourself From Moving Scams As We Approach Peak Moving Season
We have all heard about moving nightmares on the news, from family, friends and co-workers. Here are some ways to reduce your chances of being the victim of rogue and shady movers as the busy season draws near.
By: Kary Movers Ltd
As the busy spring and summer months in the moving industry are upon us, it is time for those relocating to decide on moving companies and services which they hope will go smoothly and with cost efficiency. Here are some tips for potential moving customers to reduce the chance of being taken by some rogue movers.
• Price is not always the best deciding factor. When rates are too low it can be a sign that the provider is uninsured, unlicensed, inexperienced and has no WCB coverage (which means you are liable if someone gets hurt on the job) or they may try to increase the cost when they have your items on the truck.
• For local moving, DO NOT provide a deposit and on long distance moves, DO NOT give a deposit of more than 35% on booking or pick up and pay the balance on the arrival at your new location to ensure that the rates are as agreed upon and delivery is on the schedule agreed upon.
• Check with the local Better Business Bureau to ensure the company is a member in good standing. This will allow you the peace of mind knowing that the company is not a "Fly-By-Night"
• GET Rates and terms in writing prior to the start of the loading process. Ensure the company does not have any hidden "Service Fees" such as piano fee, stair fees, etc. Normal rates should cover all of these issues. Rates should be all inclusive with the addition of no more than a one hour travel charge, fuel surcharge and GST.
• Ensure you get receipts for ANY and ALL payments especially deposits on long distance services. This not only protects you but can also be used if you qualify for any moving credits on your taxes.
These tips will assist you in a smoother moving process and protect you in the event you run into any issues during the move. The industry as a collective is trying to raise awareness and confidence in the services but rogue movers do pop up and cause a black eye to the many great companies who are working hard for clients and put the customer first.
Kary Movers Ltd is a family run, Western Canadian company with over a decade of success and steady growth. We believe in not only top level services and client satisfaction but also giving back to our communities in which we do business.
Kary Movers Ltd is available to anyone moving for information and answering questions, even if they are not using our company for their move. It is important for us to improve the image of our industry and ensure customers are getting further educated on the way our industry should be working.
James Cousineau is the Operations Manager for the Alberta Region and is available to speak with media in relation to moving issues and the industry. Together, we can all assist potential customers of moving companies and DIY moving to reduce problems, increase efficiency and ensure they are receiving value for the moving dollars. With education for the public comes power. Together we can reduce the incentive for rogue movers through reducing the number of people going with them through high pressure sales tactics or solely based on the price they are quoted up front.
From: Kary Movers Ltd - Western Canada