News By Tag
News By Location
Follow on Google News
Safeway Introduces New CSR Pledge Campaign
"Heart of Safeway" pledge encourages positive change in everyday actions of customers and employees who choose to participate
By: Safeway Inc. (Eastern Division)
The first 25,000 participants to make a personal pledge will be rewarded with a CSR-themed store coupon for $1 off fresh produce. Since Safeway sources many produce items from local farmers, the coupon not only encourages healthy eating and provides a reward on an everyday essential, but it also can be used to support local businesses and help reduce carbon emissions. For each pledge, The Safeway Foundation will donate $1 to benefit Feeding America and Food Banks Canada, contributing up to $25,000 to hunger relief.
“Imagine if every employee and shopper took the pledge – the net effect would be far greater than anything we could accomplish on our own,” said Steve Neibergall, Safeway’s Eastern Division President. “As a neighborhood store, we’re already a part of people’s daily lives, and our CSR commitments are truly the ‘Heart of Safeway.’ We see the pledge and coupon as our opportunity to inspire people to take actions and make purchases that directly benefit them and add up to a greater good.”
The “Heart of Safeway Pledge” is located on Safeway’s new CSR website http://csrsite.safeway.com/
From renewable energy projects to more than $188 million raised and contributed in 2011 to local health and human services, hunger relief, assistance for people with disabilities and education programs, Safeway’s CSR efforts are definitely having an impact. The company’s CSR highlights from the past year include:
· successfully eliminating the use of more than 17 million pounds of cardboard by switching to reusable shipping containers, which diverted 491,400 tons of waste from landfills;
· employee participants in company health programs were able to collectively reduce their weight by 18,734 pounds and achieved an overall obesity reduction of 4.5 percentage points. Additionally, 63 percent of the participants improved their blood pressure, 47 percent lowered their cholesterol levels and 15 percent improved their Body Mass Index;
· Safeway employees dedicated 1 million+ volunteer hours in 2011 to benefit local organizations;
· In 2011, Safeway became the first food retailer to hire a Chief Medical Officer to lead employee and community health and wellness efforts;
· Greenpeace USA ranked Safeway No. 1 on its Supermarket Seafood Sustainability list for the second consecutive year in 2012.
· Safeway converted and will continue to convert waste grease from deli departments in its Northern California stores into cleaner-burning bio-diesel fuel to power the Vons truck fleet in Southern California.
· Safeway set a goal to hire 850 military veterans into retail stores in 2012 in addition to the veterans hired through the existing Junior Military Officer training program.
Safeway Inc. is a Fortune 100 company and one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America, based on sales. The company operates 1,666 stores in the United States and western Canada and had annual sales of $43.6 billion in 2011. The company's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SWY.