Greenwich Global Index Hedge Funds Bounce Back in October
Hedge funds measured by the Greenwich Global Hedge Fund Index posted strong results in October, benefitting from a rebound in equity prices during the month. The GGHFI gained 2.3% compared to global equity return in the S&P 500, MSCI WE and FTSE 100.
“Concerns over Europe began to lift in October and hedge funds were able to benefit from the rise in equity prices. Long-Short managers performed well given their cautious stance entering the month,” notes Clint Binkley, Senior Vice President. “Emerging Market funds also participated and are poised to outperform their developed market counterparts given a continued recovery in the market.”
Hedge Fund Strategy Highlights
• Long-Short Equity funds lead hedge fund strategies, advancing 5.32% on average
• Market Neutral Funds gain over 2%, led by Event-Driven strategies
• Futures and Macro funds trail other averages, falling 2.55% and 0.53%, respectively
• Emerging Market funds outpace Developed Market funds by more than 3% on average
• For the year, U.S./Canada funds still the relative winners with only a 50 basis point average decline
The GGHFI is one of the oldest benchmarks of the hedge fund universe. Final Strategy and Regional index results for October will be available in early December, once additional funds have submitted returns. Past performance and indices construction rules for all Greenwich Hedge Fund Indices may be viewed at www.greenwichai.com.
About Greenwich Alternative Investments
Greenwich Alternative Investments, LLC (and its affiliates) is a leading alternative investment firm providing hedge fund indices, industry research, and index-linked products and services to institutional investors worldwide.
Greenwich Alternative Investments
Stamford, CT 06905
# # #
GreenwichAI is the world’s leading pioneer of hedge fund related investment indices and services. Our broad and integrated offering spans the entire hedge fund investment spectrum, including research, indices, analytics and manager data.