News By Tag
News By Place
Open Cloud Initiative Launches to Drive Open Standards in Cloud Computing
Non-Profit Organization to Advocate Standards-based Open Cloud Computing
The Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) has launched its official website at http://www.opencloudinitiative.org/
“The primary purpose of the Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) is to define “Open Cloud” by way of community consensus and advocate for universal adoption of Open Standard formats and interfaces” said Sam Johnston, founder and president. “Inspired by the Open Source Initiative (OSI), we aim to find a balance between protecting important user freedoms and enabling providers to build successful businesses.”
The Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) is governed by a Board of Directors comprising leaders from the cloud computing and Open Source industries, including Rick Clark, Marc Fleischmann, Sam Johnston, Shanley Kane, Noirin Plunkett, Evan Prodromou, Sam Ramji, Thomas Uhl, John Mark Walker and Simon Wardley.
The Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) is being founded as a California public benefit corporation (non-profit)
For more information, including the Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) Articles of Association, Bylaws, Open Cloud Principles (OCP), or to participate in the community, please visit http://www.opencloudinitiative.org.
Legal Name: Open Cloud Initiative
Slogan: A non-profit advocate of open cloud computing
Vision: A global cloud of clouds (“Intercloud”)
Mission: To find a balance between cloud computing users and providers by deriving a community consensus “Open Cloud” definition and advocating its universal adoption.
- Educate the public about open cloud [cloud computing products & services that comply with open standards];
- Develop and maintain a set of open cloud principles by way of an open community consensus process;
- Encourage the computing industry to participate in development of open cloud products & services;
- Persuade organizations and vendors to comply with the open cloud principles;
- Provide resources for sharing information about open cloud products & services;
- Manage a certification program to allow use of one or more certification marks in association with open cloud products & services that satisfy the open cloud principles, as determined by way of an open community consensus process; and
- Advocate for open cloud principles.
- Values: The core values of the Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) are integrity, equality, community engagement, transparency and accountability.
# # #
The Open Cloud Initiative (OCI) is a California public benefit corporation (non-profit)