Dental Consultants Favored by Two out of Five Dentists

Approximately 40% of dentists are using dental consultants in their practices, according to a Wealthy Dentist survey. Other dentists do not use a dental marketing consultant or practice management consultant.
 
April 25, 2008 - PRLog -- Most dentists are not currently using a dental consultant in their practices. In a recent dental survey by The Wealthy Dentist, 41% of dentists reported that their practices are currently using consultants for marketing and/or practice management. Of the remaining 59% not using consultants, some have never tried, whereas others have tried consultants in the past and been disappointed with the results.

Rural dentists are distinctly more likely to use a consultant than suburban dentists, who in turn are more likely to use one than urban dentists. The reasons for this are unclear, but it may be that urban dentists are more able to rely on high-visibility locations to attract new patients than their rural counterparts. This could leave rural dentists more likely to seek the assistance of dental marketing consultants.

A general dentist from North Carolina summed up what a dental consultant should offer a practice: "The consultant must design the program for me and coach me and my office, not just pull something out of a can and say 'Here it is, I hope it fits,' - or worse yet, 'I did my part, you just wouldn't make the recommended changes.' Each practice is different and to work with a practice or an athlete, both parties (doctor and consultant) must think outside of the box."

"I have in the past used consultants, but not a one has ever been able to get me more patients," complained a Connecticut dentist. An Iowa doctor echoed the feeling: "I have tried, but have not been satisfied as of yet."

Specialists were particularly likely to feel that consultants did not understand the nature of their practices, a fact that may explain why specialists are less likely to employ a dental consultant in their practice. "I have tried using consultants, but none came through for me," commented a pediatric dentist from Florida. "Most do not understand pediatric dentistry, and it was a waste of money."

A number of dentists like to shop around, employing a variety of resources to meet their marketing and practice management needs. For example, one general dentist from Alaska uses a combination of resources, including two CPA firms and a continuing education group.

In addition to sponsoring weekly surveys, The Wealthy Dentist also offers dental marketing consultant services. This left at least one doctor suspicious of the motivations behind this survey question. "Yawn," wrote a Michigan orthodontist. "Isn't this a subversive marketing ploy disguised as a question/survey? Pah-leeeze!"

In response to that comment, Wealthy Dentist founder Jim Du Molin chuckled. "Over the years, I've seen more marketing ploys than most dentists could imagine. Yes, I have experience as a dental management consultant, but I find all the new clients I need without using surveys as direct marketing. I'm just fascinated to learn more about what dentists think and how they run their businesses. I mean, dentists see 30 million Americans each month! How can you not want to know what they're thinking?"

# # #

Visit http://www.thewealthydentist.com for more surveys in the areas of dental implants, cosmetic dentistry, edation dentistry, wisdom teeth, braces, and dentures. Jim Du Molin offers a free weekly newsletter and dental practice management advice.

http://www.thewealthydentist.com/PressReleases/13_DentalC...

Website: www.thewealthydentist.com
End



Like PRLog?
9K2K1K
Click to Share